Assistant Professor of Chinese
PhD The University of Chicago
Chinese visual culture and literature; image and art theory; history and theory of photography; Chinese and global modernisms
407 Lattimore Hall
- Guest editor of “Photography’s Places.” Special issue of positions: east asia cultures critique 18, no. 3 (2010).
- “Poor and Blank: History’s Marks and the Photographies of Displacement.” Representations 109 (2010).
- “Shadow Photographs, Ruins, and Shanghai’s Projected Past.” PMLA 122:1 (2007).
- “Shanghai Savage.” positions: east asia cultures critique 11, no. 1 (2003).
- “Lishi de henji, zonghe meijie: Zhang Xinmin de Liukeng, zai ciyu yu sheying zhijian” [Historical traces, composite media: Zhang Xinmin's Liukeng, between word and photograph]. Translated by Yang Xiaoyan. Shijie (Beijing), no. 8 (2002).
Work in Progress
- “Shadow Modernism: Photography and Writing in Shanghai, 1925-1935.” Book manuscript.
Chinese visual and material culture and literature; image, medium and art theories; Chinese and global modernisms; space, place, travel, and landscape; ethnographic, historical, and literary narrative
- MLC Major Seminar (Fall 2011)
- Introduction to Premodern Chinese Literature and Culture (Fall 2011)
- Cities and the Country in Modern Chinese Culture (Spring 2011)
- Chinese Visual Culture: Medium and Materiality (Spring 2011)
- Powers of Images (Fall 2010)
- Chinese Landscapes (Fall 2010)
Honors and Activities
- Townsend Center Fellowship, University of California, Berkeley, 2006-2007.
- Junior Faculty Research Grant, Academic Senate Committee on Research, University of California, Berkeley, 2004-2005.
- McKnight Summer Fellowship for the Arts and Humanities, University of Minnesota, 2002.
- Postdoctoral Fellowship, Center for Chinese Studies, University of California, Berkeley, 2000-2001.
- University of Chicago Globalization Project, Regional Worlds Dissertation Writing Fellowship, 1998-1999.
- Dissertation Writing Fellowship, Center for East Asian Studies, University of Chicago, 1996-1997.
- Committee for Scholarly Communication with China, Dissertation Research Fellowship, 1995-1996.
- Century Fellowship, University of Chicago, 1989-1994.