Office of Minority Student Affairs
Internship and Fellowship Opportunities
Use the links below to browse a list of fellowship and internship opportunities:
Summer Research Programs for Undergraduates
- GEBS Summer Scholars Program
- Summer research opportunities in biomedical research, in any one of over 200 different laboratories at the UR medical center. The program is jointly administered with the REU Site in Cellular and Molecular Biology, and both programs share a common application form, as well as common enrichment activities during the summer (seminars, career workshops and social activities). The program is aimed at students interested in careers in research, and in the Ph.D. degree. An intensive ten-week research program is provided, with additional enhancements that include career workshops and seminars. A full stipend is provided, as well as housing costs.
- NSF Summer Research: Department of Chemistry
- Undergraduate Summer Research Program in Chemistry. 10-week on-campus research program, with supporting discussion groups, research meetings, and a short course on Photoinduced Charge Transfer, as well as social activities. Research problems are available across the broad landscape of contemporary chemical research: structure, dynamics, synthesis, spectroscopy and theory; inorganic, organic, organometallic, physical, biological, polymer, nuclear and environmental chemistry.
- Research Experience in Physics & Astronomy for Undergraduates (REU)
- Summer Program in Physics and Astronomy. 10-week on-campus undergraduate research program. Research areas include Astronomy & Astrophysics, Biological Physics, Condensed Matter Physics, High Energy Physics, Nuclear Physics, Plasma and Laser Physics, Quantum Optics, and Physics Education.
- Research for Undergraduates in Biomechanics and Engineering
- Applicants to this National Science Foundation REU program should have completed their sophomore or junior year in engineering or another technical discipline (including physical therapy).
- Strong Children's Research Center Summer Training
- For students who plan to pursue a medical education and a biomedical research career. It's also open to those who are already in medical school. A stipend is provided.
- Summer Fellowship Program in Visual Science
- Sponsored by the Center for Visual Science, juniors having an interest in neurobiological, optical, psychophysical or computational aspects of vision receive up to four months of supervised laboratory training and participation in vision seminars and journal clubs. A stipend is provided.
- DeKiewiet Summer Program
- Summer program for UR undergraduates only. Provides stipend and housing support. Students may choose to work in any UR laboratory. Interested individuals should contact Dr. Tony Olek and Ms. Doris Kist directly for details on this program.
- McNair Summer Research Program
- This program allows students to pursue research in any field, ranging from biology to politics, english, computer science or social sciences. The program is for UR students and students at other participating institutions only. Housing support and a stipend are provided. Participants must be either a low-income, first-generation college student, or a member of an underrepresented group. This website includes student abstracts, collected in an online journal.
- Minority-Specific Programs: URSMD Ethnic and Multicultural Affairs
- This office coordinates and runs a number of summer research programs for undergraduate students and for high school students who are members of underrepresented and economically disadvantaged groups. All programs provide stipends, and the undergraduate program also provides housing costs. The SURF (undergraduate) program is aimed at students interested in careers in medicine, while the NIH summer program nd the STEP program are aimed at high school students. Interested individuals should contact this office directly for more details about the various programs offered. An online application for the SURF program is available.
- Summer Program for Minority Students in Dental School
- Students may participate in summer research in the area of oral biology, which includes oral microbiology, dental sciences and craniofacial research. The program is for dental students and students accepted into dental school. Stipend and housing costs are provided.
Other websites worth checking out!!
- Internships for minority students
- Research Community Information
- Summer Research and Clinical Opportunities (large listing)
- Environmental Careers Organization
- Research Opportunities in Child and Adolescent Psychology
- Research Opportunities in NeuroPsychopharmacology
- National Institutes of Health
- Association of American Medical Colleges
- INROADS Law Internship Program (ILIP)