T. Emil Homerin
Courses Offered (subject to change)
- REL 107 History of Islam
- REL 167 Speaking Stones
- REL 247 Welcome to Islam and the Third World
- The Wine of Love & Life: Ibn Fârid's al-Khamrîyah and al-Qaysarîs Quest for Meaning. Chicago: Chicago Papers on the Middle East. Middle East Center, University of Chicago, 2005.
- Editor. Arabic Literature in Mamluk Domains (1250-1517). Mamlûk Studies Review 7 (2003), special thematic issue.
- 'Umar Ibn al-Fârid: Sufi Verse, Saintly Life. New York: Paulist Press, Classics of Western Spirituality Series, 2001.
- From Arab Poet to Muslim Saint: Ibn al-Farid, His Verse, and His Shrine. 2nd ed. with a new introduction: American University in Cairo Press, 2001. 1st ed., University of South Carolina Press, 1994.
- "Mystical Improvisations: Ibn al-Fârid Plays al-Mutanabbî." In Ghazal: A Genre of World Literature. Edited by A. Neuwirth and Boerte Sagaster. Beirut: Beiruter Texte und Studien (BTS). Forthcoming.
- "Arabic Religious Poetry: 1200-1800." In The Cambridge History of Arabic Literature: The Post-Colonial Period. Edited by Roger Allen and Donald Richards. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press. Forthcoming.
- Ibn al-Fârid's Persoanl Dîwân." In Le dévelopement du soufisme en Égypte à lépoque mamelouke. Edited by Richard McGregor and Adam Sabra. Cairo: Institut Français dArchéologie Orientale. Forthcoming.
- "Islam & Altruism." In Altruism in Religious Perspective. Ed. Jacob Neusner. Washington, D.C. Georgetown University Press, 2005.
- "The Study of Islam in Mamluk Domains." Mamlûk Studies Review 9:2 (2005):1-30.
- Living Love: The Mystical Writings of cÂ'ishah al-Bâcûnîyah." Mamlûk Studies Review 7 (2003): 211-34.
- "Saving Muslim Souls: The Khanqah and the Sufi Duty in Mamluk Lands." Mamlûk Studies Review 3 (1999): 59-83.
- "Sufis and their Detractors in Mamluk Egypt: A Survey of Protagonists and Institutional Settings." In Islamic Mysticism Contested. Edited by Frederick De Jong and Bernd Radtke. Leiden: E.J. Brill, 1999, 225-46.
- "In the Gardens of az-Zahra : Love Echoes in a Poem by Ibn Zaydun." In The Shaping of an American Islamic Discourse: A Memorial to Fazlur Rahman. Edited by Earle Waugh and Frederick M. Denny. Atlanta: Scholars Press, 1998, 215-32.
- "Poetry and the Study of the Medieval Middle East." Al-'Usur Al-Wusta: The Bulletin of the Middle East Medievalists 11:1 (April, 1999): 4-5, 11.
- "Ibn al-Farid," and "Munawi's Literary Hagiography of Ibn al-Farid." In Windows on the House of Islam. Edited by John Renard. Berkeley: University of California Press, 1998, 194- 208.
- "Reflections on Arabic Poetry in the Mamluk Age." Mamlûk Studies Review 1 (1997): 63-85.
- "Ibn al-Farid, a Saint of Mamluk and Ottoman Egypt." In Manifestations of Sainthood in Islam. Edited by Grace Smith and Carl Ernst. Istanbul: Isis Press, 1994, 85-94.
- "Tangled Words: Toward a Stylistics of Arabic Mystical Verse." In Reorientation: Essays on Arabic and Persian Poetry. Edited by S.P. Stetkevych. University of Indiana Press, 1994, 190-98.
- "I've Stayed by the Grave: an Elegy/Nasib for Nudar." In Festschrift for James Bellamy. Edited by M. Mir. Princeton, NJ: Darwin Press, 1993, 107-18.
- "A Bird Ascends the Night: Elegy and Immortality in Islam." Journal of the American Academy of Religion 59 (1991) 4:247-79.
- "Preaching Poetry: The Forgotten Verse of Ibn al-Shahrazuri." Arabica 38 (1991):87-101.
- "The Domed Shrine of Ibn al-Farid." 25 (1990): 133-38.
- "Ibn cArabi in the People's Assembly: Religion, Press, and Politics in Sadat's Egypt." Middle East Journal 80:4 (Summer, 1986), 462-77.
- "Ibn Taymiyah's al-Sufiyah w-al-fuqara." Arabica 32 (1985), 219-44.
- "Echoes of a Thirsty Owl: Death and Afterlife in Pre-Islamic Arabic Poetry." Journal of Near Eastern Studies 22:2 (1985), 165-84.
- "Sa di's Somnatiyah." Iranian Studies 16:1-2 (Winter-Spring, 1983), 31-50.