Financing Study Abroad—Gilman International Scholarship Program
We are eager to assist you as you apply for a Gilman Scholarship. The process is relative simple, and submitting a well-thought out and well-written proposal is essential.
The deadlines are normally in March for summer and fall study abroad and in October for spring study abroad programs.
Here are some helpful tips:
• The Gilman program offers helpful webinars for students; check their website for dates.
• You must indicate the name of a study abroad adviser who will certify your application. Therefore, we strongly urge you to meet with an adviser well in advance of the application deadline. This will give you an opportunity to make sure that you understand the application process and to discuss possible Follow-On Projects. Once you have submitted your application, you cannot make any changes.
• You must indicate the name of your Financial Aid Counselor who will certify your application. Meet with him or her before submitting your Gilman application. It is important that you understand how study abroad and an outside scholarship may affect your financial aid package.
• The Follow-On Project should be designed to promote study abroad and the Gilman program to people in our campus and/or local community. Past projects have included visits to local elementary schools, ‘open mic’ nights on campus, programming to undergraduate department councils, and photographic exhibits. You can be creative!
• The description of your Follow-On Project should indicate that you have a specific project planned and have contacted those who will be involved. In other words, writing that you’re going to help the Center for Study Abroad is insufficient. Writing that you’re going to maintain a bulletin board of study abroad scholarships and hold scholarship information meetings in cooperation with the Center for Study Abroad is more definite.
• Write clearly and concisely; follow the essay guidelines closely. Gilman program reviewers read hundreds of applications and writing an excellent essay can make the difference between receiving and not receiving an award.
• Before submitting your online application, bring a draft of your essays to the College Writing Center in Rush Rhees G-121.
• The advisers in the Center for Study Abroad will also be happy to review your drafts.
We look forward to meeting with you about this prestigious scholarship!
The Center for Study Abroad and Interdepartmental Programs
Lattimore Hall 206