Education Abroad

Financing Study Abroad

Billing, Payments, Refunds


If you are participating in a study abroad program in the fall, your fall semester statement will be posted online in mid-July. If you are participating in a study abroad program in the spring, your spring semester statement will be posted online in mid-December. You will not receive a statement in November unless you have a balance from the fall semester. Students participating in a full-year program will be billed on a semester basis.

Your balance must be paid in full from the prior semester to register for a study abroad program. If you have a past due balance, you may settle your account with the Bursar's Office. Your registration for a study abroad program is subject to cancellation if payment is not kept current and your past due balance is $5,000 or greater, or if you submit a check that is returned by the bank, unless acceptable arrangements are promptly made.

If you are participating in a non-UR program, UR will bill you for the study abroad fee ($1,340). You will be billed directly for the program cost by the college or university that sponsors your program.


Update your billing address with the Bursar's Office before departure, and again when you return, if the billing address should change.

Contact the Bursar's Office before you leave if you are receiving an outside scholarship or alternative loan that requires your endorsement. We will make arrangements with you to have the check(s) signed so that you will be credited with the funds. If someone other than you will be handling your financial affairs while you are abroad, please be sure to share this information with that individual.


If you are expecting to receive a refund of financial aid (your financial aid exceeds your charges), you need to contact the Bursar's Office before you leave to make arrangements to receive this refund. If you are participating in a UR-sponsored program, the Bursar's Office cannot issue a refund until at least ten days prior to the start of classes at UR. If you are receiving NYS TAP, which is usually certified in October for the fall semester or in March for the spring semester, you will not receive that portion of your refund until those funds can be credited.

If you are on a non-UR program and have completed a Consortium Agreement, the Bursar's Office will need to verify your registration before financial aid can be credited to your account and a refund check issued. Your registration cannot be verified until your program start date; you should therefore plan to cover a minimum of one month's expenses before the refund will be available.

In Section III of the Consortium/Contractual Agreement, students are required to indicate how their refund check should be made payable. If you want your refund check to be issued to your study abroad program, this must be indicated on the Consortium/Contractual Agreement. If this section is left blank, the refund will be made payable to you and sent to your billing address. Payment will not be sent to the Consortium School unless you have requested this in Section III of the Consortium/Contractual Agreement.

If your Financial Aid Application is complete, and if your anticipated aid will more than cover the study abroad charges on your account, then the Bursar's Office may be able to advance funds to cover airfare or other expenses prior to departure. Contact the Bursar's Office to inquire about this possibility.