Education Abroad

Financing Study Abroad

Program Costs and Fees

UR Programs

Students attending UR programs will be charged UR tuition and room costs for their semester abroad. These charges will appear on your UR term bill. The bill will not reflect the registration for your specific education abroad program, but will show any anticipated or expected financial aid. The standard UR housing charge covers the basic housing level that the program offers, generally with one or two roommates. Some programs offer optional premium housing, but students who choose to take advantage of such optional housing are responsible for any additional costs.

Cost figures are estimated by the Center for Education Abroad in consultation with the program host university/provider. These figures will include UR tuition and room charges, fees, board, personal expenses, international airfare, books and other required expenses. Optional expenses, such as additional travel, restaurant dining, visa fees, and souvenirs are not considered when calculating educational costs for the semester/year. These discretionary costs are the student's responsibility.

If you are a financial aid recipient you will be eligible to receive financial aid during your semester abroad. If your total program cost is less than the cost of studying at UR for that semester, your need-based aid will be reduced proportionately. Merit awards will not be reduced. Please see your financial aid counselor to discuss your specific situation, including which awards are need-based.

Non-UR Programs

Each non-UR program has a different fee depending on what the program includes (room, board, tuition, etc.), as well as cost of living in the host country, currency exchange, and other factors. Keep in mind that, for example, studying in Paris, London, or Tokyo can be much more costly than a semester in Jerusalem or Lima.

If you choose to attend a non-UR program, you will not be eligible to receive the same financial aid. It is especially important to discuss your plans with your financial aid counselor to determine what types of aid you will eligible for while abroad and to ensure the continuation of your aid when you return. Education abroad programs have their own financial aid available and applications are available from the host university/program provider.

Federal Direct Loans and Federal Pell Grants may be used while on a non-UR program, provided that you have completed a Consortium/Contractual agreement and the Financial Aid Office has verified the program sponsor's eligibility. TAP awards for NYS residents can be used if the non-UR program is sponsored by a NY college or university.

In order to be eligible for these funds (as well as for a Parent PLUS or alternative loan(s)) for the semester you are abroad, you must complete a Consortium/Contractual Agreement. This can be obtained from the Financial Aid Office, or online through FAOnline. Detailed instructions on completing the Agreement are included. A Consortium/Contractual Agreement involves multiple steps and requires several signatures, so do not delay in completing this requirement. Your coursework must be approved before the UR Dean can sign the Consortium Agreement.

Non-refundable Deposits

Once students are admitted to programs, they are required to inform the Center for Education Abroad and the program sponsor of their plans as quickly as possible. Many programs ask for a non-refundable deposit to hold a student's place in the program. Deposits range from $100 to $1000 and are discussed in acceptance materials. The average is around $300.

For students admitted to IES programs: Upon admittance to an IES program, UR students will be asked to submit an Intent to Enroll form, rather than submitting the $500 confirmation deposit. If a student submits the Intent to Enroll form and subsequently decides not to participate in the program, they will be responsible for the $500 deposit.

Withdrawal Policy

In the event that you enroll in an education abroad program and are unable to complete it, refunds, if any, will be based on the UR's standard refund schedule, and on recoverable costs. The refund schedule is applied according to the calendar of the education abroad program. If you enroll in a non-UR program, no refund is possible for the UR study abroad fee ($1,538), and you would communicate directly with the program sponsor about the possibility of any refund of the program fee.

Associated Fees

Application Fee

Most programs charge between $30 and $75.

Study Abroad Fee

All students studying on non-UR programs who wish to receive credit for their work must be on Study Abroad Status, which carries an administrative fee of $1,538 per semester for academic year 2016-17. This fee is charged to the term bill. The study abroad fee covers services rendered by the College in connection with education abroad. Though not on campus in Rochester, students abroad continue to be fully matriculated toward their degree. Study Abroad Status ensures that students have a smooth transition abroad and then back to Rochester. Students are placed on Study Abroad Status through electronic registration. Students on Study Abroad Status are eligible for continuation of University of Rochester health insurance while abroad.