Education Abroad

Financing Study Abroad

Miscellaneous Expenses


Official copies of University of Rochester transcripts can be requested from the Registrar's Office in Lattimore 312 or by using ACCESSplus. If you have taken courses at other colleges or universities, you will need to request official copies of your transcript for your study abroad application. Many institutions charge a nominal fee to issue a transcript.


Keep a photocopy of all completed application materials, essays, important papers, passport, etc.

International Student Identity Card/American Youth Hostel Card

Many students obtain these cards before going abroad because they provide substantial savings on entrance fees to museums and cultural events as well as reduced rates in youth hostels. The International Student Identity Card can applied for here: 

Traveler's Checks

Some banks and financial institutions (Thomas Cook, for example) charge a fee when you purchase traveler's checks. Banks overseas normally charge a fee to cash the checks. Fees vary from bank to bank, so it is important to determine the going rates.

ATM Fees

Most students find that the easiest way to access money while overseas is by using an automated teller machine (ATM). Many of the largest banks overseas will allow you to get local currency from the funds in your US account. However, just as in the US, the banks often assess a fee when you withdraw money. The fee varies from bank to bank, but it is usually a flat rate, so that it is advantageous to make withdrawals less often. Check with your bank to be sure that your PIN will work overseas.

Housing/Damage Deposits

Whether you will be living in an apartment, a residence hall, or a homestay while abroad, be prepared to pay a housing or security deposit. Deposits typically are around $300. You may be billed for this ahead of time by your program, or you may be expected to pay it, in cash, when you arrive abroad.

Postage/Fax/Phone Calls

These costs increase with the number of programs to which you apply. Fax machines are available for student use at the following locations on campus: the Campus Post Office, the Student Activities Office, and the Career Center. Once you are abroad, plan ahead to keep faxes and telephone calls to a minimum, since they can be very expensive.


Students overseas increasingly find Internet access at cafés. Remember, however, that this service is not free: email conversations can add up.

Course Fees

If you choose to take courses with experiential components (field trips, laboratory, etc.), there may be additional charges levied for labs, tickets and entrance fees. This is almost always the case for courses involving performances (for example, theater and concerts). Expect to have $50 to $100 to cover these courses. On some programs, a course overload will incur additional expenses.

Work Permits

The Council on International Educational Exchange and BUNAC can help students obtain short-term work permits for overseas jobs in certain countries. There is an application fee for these work permits. The Center for Study Abroad can provide you with an application for the work permit, but does not process work permits. Keep in mind that, in many countries, entry requirements prevent you from working while you are studying there.