Friday, January 29, 2016
Wilson Commons, May Room and Bridge Lounge
1 - 3 p.m.
The Annual Study Abroad Global Fair is designed to help students learn more about overseas opportunities available to them.
The fair features study abroad programs with which the University of Rochester has formal affiliations and exchange agreements. There are information tables for all UR study abroad programs, as well as other semester, year, and summer international opportunities. Representatives from the following programs will be present: the Institute for the International Education of Students (IES), the Council on International Educational Exchange (CIEE), and Internships in Europe (EPA). University of Rochester faculty will also be present with information on their summer programs including: Historical Archaeology Field School in Smith's Island, Bermuda (summer), French Sign Language and Deaf Culture in France (summer), Malawi Immersion Seminar (summer), and San Martino Archaeological Field School.
Representatives from the Financial Aid Office will be on hand to advise students and a travel agent will be present to provide information about transportation and International Student ID Cards. Other offices that will be present to answer questions and provide information include: the Office for Minority Student Affairs, the Hajim School of Engineering and Applied Sciences, the College Center for Advising Services, the dean of freshmen, and the dean of sophomores and many other departments.
Finally, study abroad returnees provide peer advising as they share stories and advice based on their own overseas studies.
Do you need to apply for a new passport? At the fair a representative of the City of Rochester will be on campus with application materials. You may pick up the paperwork, or apply for a passport on the spot. This is only for new passports - passport renewals are available by mail only. There will also be a photographer to take passport size photos. Prices for photos are $15 (cash or check).
If you want to apply for a passport, come prepared with the following:
- Your birth certificate with raised seal or certified copy OR naturalization papers.
- Your driver’s license or other government issued photo ID, such as old passport.
- Your checkbook. The fees are as follows:
- New Passport - $135 ($110 to the US Department of State and $25 to the City of Rochester)
Guide to the Annual Global Fair
|What is available||Description|
|Information packs||Contains a study abroad info meeting schedule and a basic study abroad information flyer.|
|Program Tables||Staffed by students, faculty and staff, with at least one person representing a program.|
|UR Office Tables||Staffed by representatives from: Career Center, Advising Services, Fellowships, Financial Aid, Kearns Center, OMSA, Dean of Freshmen, Sophomore Committee.|
|US Passport||Pick up passport application materials from City Clerk or apply on the spot. Photos can be taken on the spot.|
How to navigate the Global Fair
Questions you should consider asking:
- Why did you decide to study abroad?
- Why did you choose your particular location/program?
- What do you wish you had known before studying abroad?
- How hard is it to be a XXXXX major and study abroad?
- What are some courses to take to prepare me for studying abroad?
- How can your study abroad program meet my academic needs?
- Can I study abroad as part of the Take Five Scholars Program?
- What are the advantages of doing an internship while abroad?
- How will studying abroad affect my résumé, job or graduate school applications?
Programs and Offices Represented in 2016 (updated list for 2017 will be available in January, 2017)
- Summer and Exchange Programs:
- Arezzo, Italy
- Archaeological Excavation in Italy
- Religion Studies Pilgrimage Program
- French Sign Language in France
- York University Exchange
- Bristol University Exchange
- Pontificia Universidad Catolica del Peru Exchange
- Hebrew University
- University of Macau
- General Information and Exchange Programs:
- University of Sydney
- Australian National University
- University of Western Australia
- Seoul National University
- Nanyang Technological University
- Chinese University Hong Kong
- Hong Kong University Science Tech.
- Internships in Europe
- Copenhagen, Denmark
- College Year in Athens
- Advanced Studies in England
- Jaggielonian University Exchange
- Jaggielonian University Summer
- Council on International Educational Exchange
- Institute for the International Education of Students
- UR Offices:
- College Center for Advising Services
- Take Five Scholars
- Health Professions
- Office of Minority Student Affairs
- Financial Aid Office
- Fellowships Office
- UR Libraries
- Warner School of Education
- TESOL Program
- Hajim School of Engineering and Applied Sciences
- Natural Science Division
- Humanities Division
- Social Sciences Division
- Multidisciplinary Studies Center
- University Health Services
- Career Center
- Modern Languages and Cultures
- Religion Studies
- U.S. Passport Agency
- Passport and Travel Information
- Rochester City Clerk
- Passport Photographer
- Study Abroad Photo Contest