Education Abroad

Planning to Go Abroad

Registering for Courses Abroad

Registration procedures vary. Many study abroad program applications will ask you to indicate a list of possible courses that you wish to take while you're abroad. Many overseas universities do not conduct course registration on campus until a very short time before classes begin. An updated course schedule may not be available in advance. In that case you will need to use the course schedule from a previous semester or year. In addition to choosing the courses you hope to take, you will also need to choose several alternate courses in case of cancellations. Your final registration will take place overseas, after you arrive in the country. This is typically the case for integrated programs, exchange programs, and direct enrollment.

Have your courses approved BEFORE you go overseas. You must complete a full course load while you're abroad; the equivalent of 16 Rochester credits per semester. Underloads are not permitted during study abroad.

Most programs will allow you to change courses (drop/add) at the beginning of the semester. Notify your UR advisers (including faculty advisers and advisers in the Center for Study Abroad) if you make any changes to your schedule.

Some programs allow students to complete courses on a Satisfactory/Fail basis (S/F option). Check with an adviser in the Center for Study Abroad before you sign up for this option. Because you must earn a grade of "C" or better in order to transfer credit to the UR, you may not be able to complete a course as S/F (unless the program can document that the "S" or "Pass" grade is equivalent to "C" or better on the UR scale).