Education Abroad


By Type

Exchange Programs | Integrated ("Direct Enrollment") Programs | Combined Programs | Internship Programs | "Island" Programs | Independent Enrollment | Summer Programs

Graffiti Art
Photo by: Marina Isaacson, Czech Republic, March 2011

There is a wide variety to choose from. Center for Study Abroad staff will guide you. They’ll also direct you to many excellent on-line resources.

Exchange Programs

UR students trade places with their overseas counterparts for a semester or year. This offers the chance for students in each country to meet past, current and future participants.

UR has exchanges with Bristol University, the University of Sussex, and the University of York in the UK, Meiji Gakuin University in Japan, Braude College in Israel, the Australian National University and the University of Western Australia, the Pontifical Catholic University of Peru, Jagiellonian University in Poland, Uppsala University in Sweden, the Chinese University of Hong Kong, Hong Kong University of Science and Technology, and the University of Cologne in Germany.

Language of instruction: English or host country

Academics: regular university courses with host country and international students

Housing: residence hall, apartments, or homestay; varies by university

Learn more about UR Exchange Programs

Integrated (“Direct Enrollment”) Programs

Integrated, or direct enrollment programs, are often arranged by a sponsoring American college or consortium, and allow you to enroll in an overseas university and to take courses with regularly matriculated local students.

The advantage of integrated programs is that they normally offer American-style transcripts, academic advising, and orientation programs for American college students. Even with a high level of support, students find that complete immersion in the host culture can be quite challenging, and requires a high level of maturity, flexibility and resourcefulness.

Language of instruction: host country (approximately four or five semesters of college-level language study or the equivalent) or English

Academics: regular university courses with host country and international students

Housing: residence hall, apartments, or homestay; varies by program

Examples: the IES program at the University of Sydney in Australia, and the CIEE program at the University of Sharjah

Browse Programs by Country/Region

Combined Programs

Combined or “hybrid” programs are a cross between island programs and those which integrate students into an overseas university. On-site academic advising will ease you into the foreign university setting.

Students interested in full integration may choose combined programs because of the greater challenges of direct enrollment. Even if students are reasonably fluent in the local language, there are significant differences in learning, teaching and testing styles.

Language of instruction: English, host country, or both

Academics: courses arranged for the study abroad students, as well as local direct enrollment opportunities

Housing: residence hall, apartments, or homestay; varies by program

Examples: on the IES program in Madrid, which requires the equivalent of four or five semesters of college-level Spanish, you might choose to take some IES courses and some regular courses at the Universidad Complutense de Madrid.

Browse Programs by Country/Region

Internship Programs

Many study abroad programs combine traditional academics with hands-on experience outside the classroom. In internship programs, you are placed in an internship and concurrently take courses. Internships are offered in many fields, including politics, medical research, museum, theater, business, and media.

Internship programs provide academic credit and are not paid. Most countries do not allow you to enter the country as a student and then obtain paid employment.

UR has excellent examples of internship programs in London, Edinburgh, Berlin, Brussels, Madrid, and Bonn/Cologne. Other programs offer opportunities for field research or independent study, which likewise take place outside of the classroom.

Internships in Europe

“Island” Programs

On an island program you will take courses that have been specifically created for the program. They are arranged by a sponsoring college or consortium, and are taught either by faculty members of the home campus, or by host country faculty contracted for individual courses.

Language of instruction: English, in the local language or both

Academics: in class with other American college students only

Housing: shared apartment with American students or locals, residential hotel, or private home with a family or landlord/landlady

Examples: UR program in Arezzo, Italy

Summer study abroad programs are normally “island” programs because most overseas universities do not offer regular instruction during the summer.

Learn more about Summer Programs

Independent Enrollment

While UR has existing affiliations with numerous overseas institutions that offer direct (“integrated”) enrollment, it may be that your academic and personal interests lead you to look elsewhere. For example, you might choose to enroll independently at the University of Edinburgh in Scotland.

This option is not open at institutions with which UR already has an existing affiliation. For example, there is an IES program at Dublin City University in Dublin, Ireland. If you are interested in applying to Dublin City University, you must apply through UR and IES, not Dublin City University.

If you enroll independently at a university that does not issue an American-style transcript, you will be required to document successful completion of the program of study by having your transcript evaluated by a service such as World Education Service (WES).

To transfer credit, you will need to bring back syllabi and reading lists for each course, along with all your written work: notes, essays, research papers, examinations, and any available evaluations of your work by overseas faculty. The Center for Study Abroad will review these documents with faculty before credit can be granted.

Browse Programs by Country/Region

Summer Programs

If you are thinking about studying abroad, but are not quite sure if you would like to spend a full semester abroad, a summer program is a great way to test study abroad. Likewise, summer programs are a good option if you are unable to fit a semester or academic year of study abroad into your plans. You may participate in a summer program as early as the summer following your freshman year.

UR summer programs normally offered:

Learn more about Summer Programs