Hopeman Memorial Carillon
2015 Fall Carillon Events
- Tuesday August 25: Orientation student concert, at 9:30-10 pm
- Friday, September 11: Memorial Concert at 5:30-6 pm
- Thursday, September 17: Senior Community Welcome tour of Rush Rhees Library Rare books and noon carillon "Golden Oldies" concert
- Meliora Weekend concerts:
- Ring the Wild Bells: Gold October 8 at 5 pm
- Ring the Wild Bells: Silver October 9 at 5 pm
- Ring the Wild Bells: Bronze October 10 at 12 noon
- Saturday October 10: Hopeman Carillon Open House at 1 pm; meet at the Q&i desk in Rush Rhees Library
note: performance dates are subject to change
The Hopeman Memorial Carillon, a set of bells played from a keyboard and pedalboard, hangs in the tower of Rush Rhees Library. It is one of only seven carillons in New York State. At 50 bells, it is considered a large carillon; by comparison the world's largest carillon in Bloomfield, Michigan has 77 bells. Carillonist Doris Aman and her students perform frequently throughout the year and especially to mark major university events. Contact Doris at email@example.com.
Interested in playing the carillon? Community residents may now take lessons at Eastman Community Music School. ECMS offers their community of music students a carillon tour once each semester to see the carillon close up. Space limitations apply.
For more information or to make a donation, contact Jimmy Warlick in the Music Department at (585) 275-2828.
A view up the bell tower...