Good Books: Tim Russert’s Wisdom of our Fathers

Good Books: Tim Russert’s Wisdom of Our Fathers

Just in time for Father’s Day, University volunteer and parent Mitchell Hecker recommends Tim Russert’s Wisdom of Our Fathers: Lessons and Letters from Daughters and Sons, a New York Times bestseller.

Wisdom of Our Fathers: Lessons and Letters from Daughters and Sons by Tim Russert book coverWisdom of Our Fathers is a compelling read that reinforced a lot of the thoughts I have had about parenting, and about fatherhood, of course. Regardless of whether you are a father or a mother, the letters and memories from sons and daughters echoed the importance of giving your children time, attention, and love. The material things just don’t matter. But, going on a road trip together; cheering at a soccer game, a high school theater performance, or a speech and debate tournament; or just picking up the phone when your college-aged child needs you, those seemingly small yet incredibly important moments do matter.

Volunteering for whatever groups my sons are involved in, including at the University, also brings about a whole other level of connection and satisfaction for me. This book really brought home for me that the best part of parenting is to have a front row seat to whatever my two sons are doing—to watch them discover themselves.

Looking for more good books? Join the University’s Virtual Alumni Book Club and peruse our Alumni Bookshelf.

Mitchell Hecker and his son Ryan
Mitchell Hecker with his son, Ryan Hecker '23. The Hecker family—which includes Mitchell's wife, Lorrie, and other son, Matt—lives in Summit, N.J.