Program Costs and Fees

With careful planning, education abroad can be affordable for most students.  This page provides information about what you’ll be billed for, typical out of pocket expenses, and managing your money abroad.  We also encourage you to take a look at the following pages:

Partnered Programs

Students attending partnered programs will be charged Rochester tuition and accommodation fee for their semester abroad. These charges will appear on your Rochester term bill. If you participate in a semester exchange program, you will be billed by UR for tuition; your host institution will bill you directly for housing. 

The on-campus accommodation and dining fees will be removed from student bills by mid-January for the spring term.

The bill will not reflect the registration for your specific education abroad program, but will show any anticipated or expected financial aid. The standard Rochester housing charge covers the basic housing level that the program offers, generally with one or two roommates. Some programs offer optional premium housing, but students who choose to take advantage of it are responsible for any additional costs.

Non-Partner Programs

Each non-partner program has a different fee depending on what the program includes (room, board, tuition, etc.), as well as cost of living in the host country, currency exchange, and other factors. Keep in mind that, for example, studying in Paris, London, or Tokyo can be much more costly than a semester in Jerusalem or Lima.

If you choose to attend a non-partner, you will not be eligible to receive the same financial aid. It is especially important to discuss your plans with your financial aid counselor to determine what types of aid you will be eligible for while abroad and to ensure the continuation of your aid when you return. For more information, see the financial aid page.

Students who participate in a non-partner program will be charged an administrative Study Abroad Fee by The College (see "Additional Expenses" below). Students may not take a Leave of Absence and earn study abroad transfer credit.

Students attending non-partner programs will be billed by the program/institution for tuition, room, and fees. Your UR bill will reflect the Non-Partner Study Abroad fee.

Non-University of Rochester programs do not apply toward The College’s Enrollment Policy.  If you are considering participating in a non-Rochester program, be sure to discuss the Enrollment Policy with an Education Abroad Advisor.

Short-term Programs

Billing and financial aid options are different than for semester and academic year programs. 

UR summer programs:  Once admitted to the program, you will submit a confirmation deposit to the Bursar’s Office, payable by check or through URePay.  If you register for your program by mid-March the balance of  the program fee will be due by April 10.  If you register between mid-March to mid-April, your balance will  be due by April 18. 

Other short-term Partner programs:  deposit and billing varies by program. Consult with the Center for Education Abroad and the faculty program director.

Non-Partner programs:  You will receive a bill from the study abroad program for tuition and fees.

  • Regular financial aid does not apply to short-term or to non-partner courses/programs. Domestic students who receive financial aid during the academic year should consider applying for summer aid, as you may be eligible to receive Summer Pell Grant funding and/or federal loans. Talk this over with your Financial Aid Counselor.
  • RIG, REACH funding, and Discover Grants may be applicable to education abroad. Read the websites for details.
  • If you are eligible for a Gilman Scholarship, and are applying for a summer program, we strongly encourage you to submit a Gilman application by the early decision date, which is normally in early October. You’ll be notified of the outcome in November, which gives plenty of time to plan for your summer abroad.

Non-Refundable Deposits

Once students are admitted to programs, they are required to inform the Center for Education Abroad and the program sponsor of their plans as quickly as possible. Many programs ask for a non-refundable deposit to hold a student's place in the program. Deposits range from $100 to $1,000 and are covered in acceptance materials. The average is around $500. Deposits come out of the program fee; they are not in addition to the fee.

Students admitted to semester DIS, IES Abroad, and most partner programs will be asked to submit an Intent to Enroll form, rather than submitting confirmation deposit. If a student does not participate after submitting this form, they will be responsible for the deposit.  Students who participate in summer or other short-term programs must pay a confirmation deposit.

Study abroad programs and universities incur expenses on behalf of students prior to the beginning of the term, therefore, students who do not participate after confirming participation will not receive a refund for a confirmation or housing deposit (if any) and may be charged for unrecoverable costs.  Students who are unsure about their plans are encouraged to consult with the Center for Education Abroad before submitting deposits or signing an intent to enroll.
Housing (including damage and security) deposits are charged by some programs or universities.  They are out-of pocket expenses that typically need to be paid prior to the program start date.   These are usually refundable provided there is no damage to the housing and/or the student has met the obligations of the housing and program policies and/or contracts. (see previous paragraph).  

Withdrawal Policy

In the event that you enroll in an education abroad program and are unable to complete it, refunds (if any) will be based on Rochester’s standard refund schedule, and on recoverable costs. The refund schedule is applied according to the calendar of the education abroad program. If you enroll in a non-partner program, no refund is possible for the study abroad fee and you will need to talk to your program about any possible refunds.

Additional Expenses

In addition to program fees, there are out-of-pocket expenses related to studying abroad both before you go abroad and while you are abroad. These cannot be paid by Financial Aid; you will need to budget for them.  Note that even if you will receive a refund, it cannot be dispersed until the program start date. Use the Budget Sheet as you plan.  Early planning and saving will make a big difference!  Listed here are some of the most common out-of-pocket expenses:

  • Application fee:Most programs do not charge an application fee.  If there is a fee, expect it to be between $30 and $75.
  • Study Abroad Fee: for non-partner programs only - $2,066 per semester, $375 for summer and short-term programs (2024-25) 
  • Housing fees:  You may need to pay one or more of these prior to the program start date or upon arrival: housing deposit, security deposit, one month’s rent in advance.
  • Passport and Passport Photo: See the US passport and international travel website for the most up-to-date information about passport fees and requirements.
  • Visas: Costs and entrance requirements vary, but expect to pay between $75 and $560. For details about how to apply for a visa, contact the consulate or embassy of the country where you will study.
  • Health Insurance: All students to be covered by health insurance while abroad; check whether your current policy will cover you while you're abroad*.
  • Vaccinations: Some countries require entering travelers to be vaccinated against certain diseases. Costs range from $30 to $300. See the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention website for more information.
  • AIDS Tests: Proof of a negative AIDS test is required before entering certain countries. See the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention website for more information.
  • Airfare:Airfare is an out-of-pocket expense that you must budget for.  Even if you expect to receive a financial aid refund, it will not be disbursed until after the beginning of the semester.
  • Other typical out-of-pocket expenses:

*Some programs/foreign universities require you to subscribe to their health plan.

Managing Money

The Center for Education Abroad, the Financial Aid Office, or your program sponsor can provide you with a list of estimated costs for going abroad, along with a budget sheet to help you plan your expenses. Actual costs depend heavily on your style of living and will vary with individual habits, preferences, travel choices, and currency fluctuations. 

Many students find that going abroad is affordable because of being able to use financial aid and scholarships toward the cost of their program.  However, there are out of pocket costs that you will be responsible for, such as those noted in the Additional Expenses section.  Most scholarships are applied to your bill, rather than being given to you in the form of a check, so don't count on using it as spending money.

It’s a good idea to start saving for these as soon as you starting thinking about going abroad.  Some students have saved for study abroad by getting jobs on campus, working more hours, or obtaining second jobs during the summer. You can find useful money management tips at the website.

Confirming Participation in an Education Abroad Program

After being admitted to your program, your program will let you know by what date you need to confirm participation (normally, two to three weeks after being admitted).  For many UR semester programs, you will commit to participating by electronically signing an Intent to Enroll form in your record in the Education Abroad Portal.  Signing the form represents a non-refundable deposit.  If you sign the form and subsequently do not participate in the program, you will be billed for the fee.

For most non-UR and short-term partner programs, you will commit to participating by submitting a non-refundable deposit, to the non-partner program, or to the UR Bursar’s Office (for partner programs).