Eligibility Requirements

Students must complete all of the following requirements to be eligible to study abroad. If you have questions about eligibility, please contact a study abroad advisor.

Special note for transfer students and for students applying to non-partnered:
All University of Rochester students must meet The College’s Enrollment Policy.  Be aware that non-partner study abroad programs do not apply toward the Enrollment Policy.  Students who have transferred to the University need to be sure that they will be able to meet the Enrollment Policy.  All students considering non-partnered semester study abroad programs should discuss this with an Education Abroad Advisor.

1. Complete at least one academic year at Rochester.

Students are eligible to go abroad as early as their second semester, sophomore year; a number of summer/short term programs are also open to students after the completion of their first year. Study abroad is not permitted in the final semester of your senior year. 

2. Be in good standing.

Students who have a grade point average of 2.75 or better are eligible to apply for Rochester-sponsored programs. Students who are on academic probation, disciplinary probation, or have disciplinary action pending against them are normally not eligible to study abroad.

There should be no missing or incomplete grades from previous semesters. Poor academic performance in the semester prior to study abroad may jeopardize your eligibility.

3. Declare your major.

It is highly suggested that you officially declare a major prior to studying abroad and be making satisfactory progress toward completing your degree.

4. Petitioning 

If you do not meet the eligibility requirements above and believe you have circumstances that should allow you to go abroad, you can petition to study abroad by filling out the form