Financial Aid

Financial Aid Counseling

Since each student's financial situation is unique, you will need to meet with a financial aid counselor while planning your semester(s) abroad.

Application Requirements

All undergraduate students applying for financial aid must complete a Free Application for Federal Students (FAFSA) online. Select students will also need to provide additional documentation, including institutional forms and relevant tax information, to the College Board's IDOC program. Students required to send their application to IDOC will be notified via email by both the Financial Aid Office and the College Board prior to the April 15 deadline. 

Students can track the status of their financial aid application by logging into their account in FAOnline.

NOTE: Returning students who do not submit their financial aid application with all supporting documentation by the April 15 deadline are not guaranteed full consideration for need-based assistance and may have their aid reduced due to limited funding.

Financial Aid Eligibility

Partner-Sponsored Programs

If you are a financial aid recipient, you will be eligible to receive financial aid during your semester abroad. If your total program cost is less than the cost of studying at Rochester for that semester, your need-based aid will be reduced proportionately. Merit awards will not be reduced. Please see your financial aid counselor to discuss your specific situation, including which awards are need-based.

Non-Partnered Programs

If you choose to study abroad through a non-partner sponsored program, you will not be eligible to receive the same financial aid. Most importantly, you will not be eligible for any University of Rochester assistance. It is especially important to discuss your plans with your financial aid counselor to determine what types of aid you will be eligible for while abroad and to ensure the continuation of your aid when you return. A small number of study abroad programs have their own financial aid available; applications are available from the sponsors.

Federal Direct Loans and Federal Pell Grants may be used while on a non-partner sponsored program, provided that you have completed a consortium/contractual agreement and the Financial Aid Office has verified the program sponsor's eligibility. TAP awards for New York State residents can be used if the non-partnered program is sponsored by a New York college or university.

In order to be eligible for these funds (as well as for a Parent PLUS or alternative loan(s)) for the semester you are abroad, you must complete a consortium/contractual agreement. This can be obtained from the Financial Aid Office, or online through FAOnline. Detailed instructions on completing the agreement are included. A consortium/contractual agreement involves multiple steps and requires several signatures, so do not delay in completing this requirement. Your coursework must be approved before the appropriate University of Rochester dean can sign the consortium agreement.