While You're Abroad

Below are some pieces of information for while you are abroad:


For important information on emergencies abroad, please visit Global Engagement's Emergencies page. 

Registering for Your Return Semester

When you study abroad, you will be out of the country during the usual registration period. You will still be able to use the online course schedules and descriptions to select your classes and sign on to the web registration system using your NetID and password, or University ID and PIN. Instructions for registration can be found on the registrar's website.

If you are registering for a class that needs instructor permissions, you may want to speak with the course’s instructor before you leave for study abroad.

If you have problems or questions, please email the Registrar's Office at registrar@rochester.edu or call (585) 275-4654.

Housing for Your Return Semester

The Office for Residential Life will email your return housing information to you directly. It is required that you check your University of Rochester e-mail while abroad, as you will be receiving vital information. A Virtual Private Network (VPN) is required to access restricted University resources from off campus. See IT’s VPN page for more information.  

If you have specific questions, please contact the Office for Residential Life at (585) 275-3166 or email housing@reslife.rochester.edu.

Dining Plans for Your Return Semester

Students abroad are not required to purchase a Rochester meal plan during their time abroad. However, you will need to purchase a meal plan for when you return from your time abroad.

For a full description of the University’s selection of dining plans and policies, please visit the University Dining Services website.

Important Note: Students going abroad for the spring semester do not need to cancel their dining plan for the spring semester. Dining services will refund any spring dining charges to the bursar’s bill once official notification is received that you are on abroad status.

Parking for Your Return Semester

The Department of Transportation and Parking Management holds a lottery for resident student parking permits in the spring before students leave for summer break. For students who will be abroad during the spring semester, the registration form for the lottery will be emailed to you while you are abroad.

If for some reason you do not receive the email and need parking for the following year, you may contact the parking office at (585) 275-3983 or email rcpark@facilities.rochester.edu.


You must still follow the University of Rochester’s code of conduct while abroad and are subject to Rochester disciplinary action, including being removed from the program and sent home.