Passport and Visa

Due to the current increased processing time for U.S. passports, U.S. citizens needing to apply for an initial passport OR need to renew their passport, should plan early and start the application process as soon as possible if they plan to go abroad during the spring 2022 semester. 


You must have a passport valid for the duration of your stay abroad. Note that many countries require your passport be valid at least six months beyond your intended stay. It can take six weeks or longer to get your passport after you've applied so be sure to get your paperwork in early. 

What you will need when applying for a passport:

  1. Completed passport application, unsigned
  2. Proof of US citizenship: certified copy of birth certificate, naturalization papers, or old passport
  3. Two recent passport photos, 2" x 2", with a white background; you can have these taken at the Medical Center Photography Center or the CVS in College Town
  4. Check or money order made payable to "Department of State," the fee typically ranges from  $75-$150.  
  5. Identification such as a driver's license or other government issued photo ID

For more information see the US passport page


A visa is official permission, granted by the authorities of a country where you will study or visit, which allows you to enter and remain in that country for period of time.

You must have a valid passport in order to apply for a visa. Many countries require that your passport be valid at least six months past your intended stay in that country. Some countries require you to obtain a visa either in the US or at a consulate abroad. Costs and entrance requirements vary, but expect to pay between $75 and $600. Visas can take up to three months to process, and you may be required to appear in person to obtain the visa. You cannot apply for a visa until you have been admitted to a study abroad program.

It is your responsibility to determine the requirements and to apply for a visa in a timely fashion. Failure to apply for a visa in a timely may jeopardize being able to study abroad. 

See the Visa Central site  for more information about how to apply for a visa.

All University Students are covered under UR Travel Assistance, provided by Europ when traveling for University-sponsored or supported activity. There is NO additional cost for this benefit. If you’re required to show proof of evacuation and repatriation coverage to obtain a visa or other travel document, request a letter online. In order to receive this letter, your travel must be considered University-sponsored or supported.

If you are not a US citizen: Check now with the consulate of the country in which you’ll be studying for any special visa requirements. Consult with an international student advisor about steps you’ll need to take to stay in status. 

TIP:  Make a photocopy of your passport and visa and leave the copy with your family. Should your passport/visa be lost or stolen, they will be easier to replace if you have a copy.