Policies for Graduate Students

Early Summer Matriculation

Graduate programs in The Faculty of Arts, Sciences and Engineering admit virtually all new students in the fall semester. Arts, Sciences and Engineering does not have “rolling admissions,” and summer is not an official term in a semester based school. This creates some concerns to consider for early summer matriculation of incoming graduate students:

  • International students need to have a new I-20 issued to enable them to enter the country more than 30 days before the start of the fall term.
  • Because summer is not a “term” students are forced to register for 6 credits of research (495). For Master’s students this may mean they are locking themselves into a Plan A (thesis) degree.

Programs that wish to consider early summer matriculation and accept the issues it entails will have to allow time for the extra processing for these students, which will require a minimum two-week lead time of submitting the following paperwork to the GSO.

  • An I-9 form with supporting documentation (e.g., driver’s license and social security card or passport and visa, a copy of the I-20). Note that departments should not keep a copy of the I-9 form, as per university regulations. Also note that all students need to fill out a Personal Data Form as well.
  • A 506 form clearly indicating the payment for health insurance and the mandatory health fee. Health insurance is required for any student working on campus. This is not only for safety purposes but to protect the University from liability. Payment of the mandatory health fee is the department’s responsibility.
  • Registration form stamped by the Bursar showing payment of the tuition.
  • Clear indication of the start date. For summer matriculation, start dates will be the first Monday after commencement (mid-May), the first Monday in June and the third Monday in June.
  • Indication of who the student will be working with.