Parent and Family Relations – Graduate Assistant
The primary charge of the Parent and Family Relations Graduate Assistant is to support the work of Parent and Family Relations, as well as serves as a representative of the University. The Graduate Assistant will be involved in communicating and working directly with parents and the university community. This includes working closely with the Director of Parent and Family Relations to develop new programming, services and communication efforts. This position is ideal for a creative individual who works well independently and has strong customer service and communication skills.
Parent and Family Relations, in collaboration with offices across the University, helps parents understand and support the student experience, learning, and growth. This office assists in orienting families to the University of Rochester and serves as a resource for parents throughout their student’s undergraduate career. It is our goal that members of the University of Rochester parent community feel informed, valued, and respected.
Essential Duties, Tasks and Responsibilities:
Work with Director of Parent and Family Relations to plan and implement new programs and initiatives
- Work with Director of Parent Relations to develop office literature and promotional items.
- Solicit articles and facilitate interviews for UR Family Newsletter and Parents Buzz.
- Explore and develop opportunities to utilize social media to engage parents.
- Serve as primary point of contact for My Bus Home and provide updates to parents/students.
- Assist with website updates.
- Serve as primary coordinator for Meliora Weekend Student Services Fair; secondary contact for other programming.
- Serve as secondary contact/coordinator for spring programming, i.e.: Family Night Dessert Reception.
- Assist with Orientation Volunteer training.
- Provide assistance with Parent Orientation.
- Assist with planning events for first generation students and families.
- Brainstorm opportunities to connect with current parents and students and execute ideas.
- Connect and follow up with parents and university offices in support of the mission of Parent and Family Relations.
- Develop presentations geared toward key audiences.
- Develop strategies to communicate with students to promote initiatives, such as Family Pillar Award and Dear Mom and Dad. Re-design related flyers, request senior addresses and process individual mailing
- Attend weekly meetings with Director of Parent and Family Relations.
- Attend monthly Office of the Dean of Students staff meetings.
- Other duties as assigned.
10 hours per week. Additional hours during peak times (Orientation, Meliora Weekend and Commencement). Term of position is 10 months to a year, with possible reappointment. Start date is flexible.
Minimum requirements include, but are not limited to:
- Must be a full-time, matriculated graduate student in a Master’s or Doctoral program at the University of Rochester.
- Broad knowledge of University of Rochester, specifically student services and programs.
- Experience working with families and students in higher education setting.
- Public speaking skills, strong interpersonal communication, strong customer service, organization, and event planning skills preferred.
- Website development skills and comfort level with social media preferred, but not required.
$12 per hour