Graduate Assistant, Parent Relations
Parent Relations is currently accepting applications for a Graduate Assistant position. The Graduate Assistant will be involved in communicating and working directly with parents and the university community. The Graduate Assistant position helps facilitate all aspects of Parent Relations, as well as serves as a representative of the University. This is a temporary position. Additional hours will also be needed during Meliora Weekend and the spring semester to assist with programs and initiatives.
Parent Relations, in collaboration with offices across the University, helps parents understand and support the student experience, learning, and growth. This office assists in orienting families to the University of Rochester and serves as a resource for parents throughout their student’s undergraduate career. It is our goal that members of the University of Rochester parent community feel informed, valued, and respected.
Graduate student at the University of Rochester. Students enrolled in a Higher Education or Counseling program preferred, but not required.
Minimum requirements include, but are not limited to:
- Broad knowledge of University of Rochester, specifically student services and programs
- Experience working with families and students
- Public speaking skills, strong interpersonal communication, strong customer service, organization, and event planning skills
- Website development skills preferred, but not required
- Work with Director of Parent Relations to plan and implement new programs and initiatives
- Work with Director of Parent Relations to develop office literature and promotional items
- Solicit articles for UR Family Newsletter and Parents Buzz, including interviews
- Help staff the Parent Services table at the Orientation Expo
- Serve as primary point of contact for My Bus Home
- Family Pillar Award – develop new flyers; request senior addresses and process individual mailing, schedule meeting(s) to review submissions
- Serve as secondary contact/coordinator for Family Night Dessert Reception
- Compile Dear Mom and Dad submissions and prepare presentation
- Develop PowerPoint Presentations
- Coordinate the updates of the Office of the Dean of Students (ODOS) display board with each of the seven units within ODOS
- Serve as primary coordinator for some Meliora Weekend programs, i.e.: Student Services Fair; secondary contact for other programming
- Assist with website updates
- Explore and develop opportunities to utilize social media to engage parents
- Other duties as assigned.
10 hours per week. Additional hours during peak times. Term of position is year-long, with possible reappointment.
$12 per hour