Rochester Center for Community Leadership - Fellowships Graduate Assistant
The College Fellowships Office and the Rochester Center for Community Leadership (RCCL) offer a graduate assistant position focused on identifying and recruiting students for national fellowships, leadership development, and civic engagement programs; promoting these opportunities to undergraduates in the College; assisting with mentorship of students; and recognizing those who participate.
Essential Duties, Tasks and Responsibilities:
- Develop and implement ongoing publicity and marketing strategies, including use of social networking media (e.g., Facebook, Twitter and Instagram) and electronic newsletters, to increase awareness of community leadership and fellowships opportunities, including outreach to underclassmen, parents, faculty, staff and prospective students and other constituencies.
- Develop communication materials to help identify prospective applicants; working with Admissions, identify students with promising backgrounds; reach out to students in RCCL leadership database; reach out to academic units and other student-services offices (e.g., Office of Minority Student Affairs, Kearns Center, Student Activities Office).
- Develop and maintain web-based informational resources about community leadership and fellowship opportunities on the University’s web server.
- Identify, recruit and retain eligible students who are promising candidates for fellowships, especially those emphasizing leadership potential (Truman, Udall, PPIA, Marshall, Rhodes).
- Help to coordinate the development of a data management system to track student involvement in community leadership programs and identify talented students who are promising candidates to apply for competitive fellowships.
- Outreach to student groups and organizations, including community service, political organizations, undergraduate academic councils, and Academic Living Centers, to publicize fellowships programs, and inform them of leadership opportunities and ways to optimize them. Conduct fellowship information meetings. Develop Powerpoint presentations for this purpose.
Event / Program Planning and Management
- Assist with the development, implementation, and assessment of various events to support the goals of the RCCL and Fellowships Office.
- Assist with the coordination and promotion of leadership skills workshops in the Rochester Center for Community Leadership.
- Coach and advise individual students, and student organizations, about specific leadership and civic engagement opportunities. Suggest opportunities and organizations (in RCCL and other areas) through which students can acquire these experiences.
- Bring together candidates for specific fellowships to encourage mutual support and development of their capabilities.
- Provide application assistance to individual fellowship candidates preparing to meet national deadlines.
The Graduate Assistant will report jointly to the Director of Fellowships and the Director of the RCCL.
20 hours per week including some evening and weekend events. Term of position is July 1, 2014-June 30, 2015 with possible reappointment
Must be a full-time, matriculated graduate student at the University of Rochester.
- Strong undergraduate background in community engagement, leadership and service.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Facility with use of digital media and social networking tools.
The graduate assistant will be paid at an hourly rate of $12.00.