The Spirit Coordinator Graduate Assistant is a part-time, para-professional staff member for Wilson Commons Student Activities in the Office of the Dean of Students. This Graduate Assistant position is a joint position between Wilson Commons Student Activities and Athletics & Recreation. The primary charge of this position aims to support spirit activities on campus including athletic events, community weekends and orientation. This includes working closely with the Associate Director of Wilson Commons and the staff in Athletics & Recreation to manage events, mascot appearances, and spirit initiatives on campus. This position is ideal for an individual who was an involved student leader while an undergrad and pursuing graduate study at the University of Rochester.
The primary areas of responsibility for the Spirit Coordinator are as follows:
1. Event Management:
- Coordinate student mascot recruitment, auditions, and appearances
- Coordinate pep band and mascot during athletic competitions
- Coordinate student groups, youth athletic teams, or other organizations that wish to sponsor an activity or perform during a sporting event
- Attend athletic events when special activities are occurring
- Make arrangements for students to attend post season play activities including chaperoning the activity, and coordinating transportation, tickets, publicity, food, hotel, etc.
- Work closely with Wilson Commons staff to manage and implement logistics for Fall & Winter Activities Fair
- Assist in the planning of Spirit Week Activities
- Assist in the planning of athletically focused programing of off campus special events
2. Program Development and Support:
- Coordinate and oversee spirit initiatives on campus
- Liaison between WCSA and Athletics to determine games that are highlighted
- Create calendar of special events that are occurring at athletic events and communicate them to WCSA and Athletics & Recreation
- Develop and maintain a manual of all spirit coordinator related duties
- Research/benchmark best practices for Club Sports
- Maintain mascot outfit and schedule
- Report directly to the Associate Director of Wilson Commons Student Activities and serve as a member of the WCSA team
- Meet weekly with the Associate Director of Wilson Commons Student Activities
- Meet with Athletics and Recreation staff members, as needed
- Attend monthly Office of the Dean of Students staff meetings
- Attend weekly programming committee meetings with the WCSA staff
- Assist in the creation of a year-end annual report
- Assist in WCSA and Student Organization sponsored large events such as College Community Weekends, Senior Week, Dandelion Day, Orientation, Welcome Back to Wilson
- Conduct office space reviews on behalf of WCSA
- Other duties of special interest to the graduate assistant or as assigned by the Associate Director of Wilson Commons Student Activities or Athletics & Recreation staff
20 hours per week including some evening and weekend events. Term of position is 10 month to a year, beginning July 15, with possible reappointment. Start date may be flexible depending on the needs of WCSA and the GA.
Minimum requirements for the position include, but are not limited to:
- Must be a full-time, matriculated graduate student in a Masters or Doctoral program at the University of Rochester.
- Strong student organization, campus programming or event planning, and leadership experience preferred.
- Ability and flexibility to work independently and in conjunction with the University community in a fast-paced work environment.
- Interest in a two-year appointment preferred but not required.
If interested in applying, please contact Brian Magee at firstname.lastname@example.org.