Wilson Commons Student Activities
The Graduate Assistant for Wilson Commons Student Activities are part-time, para-professional staff members for Wilson Commons Student Activities in the Office of the Dean of Students. The primary charge of this position aims to support student life and student organizations via programming and event planning. This includes working closely with WCSA professional staff and student organizations to develop quality programs that align themselves with the mission of The College. This position is ideal for an individual who was an involved student leader while an undergrad and pursuing graduate study at the University of Rochester.
The primary areas of responsibility for the Graduate Assistant vary based on interest and assignment.
- Program Advisement, Development, and Event Management:
- Participate in and attend on- and off-campus events to serve as on site event manager, including some evenings, weekends and holidays. This may also include summer events
- Be available to work over the summer to plan, coordinate, publicize, attend meetings, and manage start of year programs
- Assist with advisor training, Fall Leadership Conference and Leadership Appreciation Dinner RSVP system, awards and session workshops
- Assist event management during Orientation, Dandelion Day, Senior Week and Community Weekends, Fall and Winter Activities Fair
- Assist in the overall coordination, oversight, publicity and management of Wilson Commons Community Building Programs such as Club Rochester, Welcome back to Wilson, ROC tkts and Holiday Shopping Fair.
- Assist in the management of Heritage Month programming
- Coordinate Dance Summit and dance and performance group space needs
- Report directly to WCSA GA Coordinator
- Attend monthly Office of the Dean of Students staff meetings
- Attend weekly programming committee meetings
- Assist in the creation of a year-end annual report for WCSA
- Conduct presentations on behalf of WCSA
- Complete research projects for WCSA as assigned
- Conduct office space reviews on behalf of WCSA
- Update WCSA presentations and literature such as Hot Spots and Orientation powerpoints
- Routinely update and record Event Tallies spreadsheet to track event and program data throughout the academic year
- Other duties of special interest as assigned
20 hours per week including some evening and weekend events. Term of position is 10 months to a year, beginning July 1, with possible reappointment. Start date may be flexible depending on the needs of WCSA and the GA.
Minimum requirements for the position include, but are not limited to:
- Must be a full-time, matriculated graduate student in a Masters or Doctoral program at the University of Rochester. Warner School students enrolled in a Higher Education program are preferred.
- Strong student organization, campus programming or event planning, and leadership experience preferred.
- Ability and flexibility to work independently and in conjunction with the University community in a fast-paced work environment.
- Interest in a two-year appointment preferred but not required.
- Valid U.S. driver’s license strongly preferred.
$12 / hour