For students, getting around can seem daunting. However, Wilson Commons Student Activities offers plenty of options and resources for transportation. All shuttle services for during the semester and for semester breaks can be found on the University of Rochester Parking and Transportation website.
If you are just looking to go the scenic route by the most sustainable and fit form of Transportation, try the City Cycles bike program and take a ride on the canal path or to the many of the local areas of interest like the South Wedge, Park Avenue or to the Corn Hill area downtown.
More information about on-campus transportation options is listed below:
- Student Activities Van Program
- Enterprise Rental Car
- College Bus Charter Service
- City Cycles Program
- Shuttle Bus Service
- Zipcar Program
For even more transportation options view our: Transportation Information Sheet [pdf]
Wilson Commons Student Activities has three 8-passenger vans available to SA recognized student groups, faculty, and staff on the River Campus to facilitate interaction and activity. Only two vans are allowed per student group use at one time. Other departments and users are subject to approval by the Transportation Coordinator and WCSA's Associate Director.
All van requests should be made at least one week before the event and must have an approved driver listed before an application for van use can be accepted.
Driver approval is a yearly process and is required to be done at least one week before the rental of a van for any events. Driver approval is done by obtaining a copy of the driver's motor vehicle record (MVR) from their state and by reading and signing a safer driver packet. To complete this process, please see Alex Northrup, the Transportation Coordinator in 101i Wilson Commons. Payment for obtaining an MVR is the responsibility of the student or staff requesting it, and is due at the time of service. Payment for an MVR can be made by either cash or flex or blue requisition.
To fill out a van request form, click on the link below to download and print the form. Please return the completed form to Alex Northrup, the Transportation Coordinator in 101i Wilson Commons. Users must list which group and account the van charges will be billed to. Van use is limited to a 25 mile radius of the University (50 miles round trip for each reservation). Trips that exceed that amount must have explicit approval from an Associate Director of Wilson Commons. Mileage charges are at the rate of $.56 per mile. Any NON-SA recognized groups or departments are subject to the van rental fee of $35 for the first 4 hours, $8 for every hour thereafter and $.56 per mile. Cancellations must be emailed to Transportation Coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org at least 24 hours prior to the time of the van reservation, and will not incur a fee. Any cancellations made less than 24 hours to the time of the van reservation will incur a $25 cancellation fee. Vans returned later than the indicated return time will incur a $10 late fee. For complete details, please read the second page of the van reservation form.
Enterprise Car Rental offers a special rate to University of Rochester staff and students. Some restrictions do apply. Must state whether for Business or Personal use. If using for personal use, you must purchase insurance separately as it is not available. Visit www.enterprise.com to find out more or contact Enterprise directly: Ask for Emily Sagona (585) 235-2999. UR Discount Account #29A3292.
Bus charter services are available for any University-related event by a University department, organization, or event organizer. Buses can be booked for local or long distance travel. Roundtrip and continuous looping transportation is available for local travel. All non-coach transportation requests must be submitted with a minimum of 1 weeks' notice. All requests that are made with less than 1 weeks' notice will incur a $50 late booking fee. All requests for coach buses require a minimum of two months' notice. To request a charter bus, fill out the form below. River Campus and ESM student organizations, please select your advisor when filling out the form.
For additional information on chartering a bus for River Campus student organizations, please contact Alex Northrup, Transportation Coordinator at email@example.com or (585) 276-3717. For all other requests, please contact Andrea Walton at firstname.lastname@example.org or (585) 275-5953.
- $50 cancellation fee
- $100 on-site cancellation fee for Monroe Transportation buses
- $170 on-site cancellation for First Transit/University buses
- $100 clean-up fee, should a charter company find it necessary to clean the bus
- Coach bus cancellation fees vary by company
City Cycles is a great bicycle lending library and allows full-time undergrad students and Goergen Athletic Center members to borrow a bike for 24 hours to go sightseeing, shopping or even do some serious biking. To find out more about the program and make reservations go to sa.rochester.edu/citycycles/.
Get connected in, around, and between campuses by riding the University's shuttle fleet. Convenience and gas savings abound with these shuttle lines available to get you to and from UR and URMC destinations. Up-to-date time tables for each of the shuttle lines are available at the Transportation and Parking Management website.
- Blue Line - Beginning Monday, August 24th, this shuttle runs between Whipple Park and River Campus. With a departure time every twenty minutes, this shuttle stops at Rush Rhees Library, Towers, Wilmot (River Campus), Elmwood Ave. (by the School of Medicine), East Dr. at Goler, Helen Wood Hall, University Park/Southside, the Laser Lab, and Whipple Park. On weekends and after 6 pm on weekdays, this shuttle now stops on Celebration Dr. in College Town.
- College Town Express - Beginning Saturday, August 22nd, the College Town Express is a weekend-only service that runs from Rush Rhees Library to College Town on Mt. Hope Avenue with stops at Towers, Wilmot (River Campus), Elmwood Ave. (by the School of Medicine), and East Dr. at Goler.
- Corporate Woods - Running every 30 minutes from 7:15 a.m. to 6 p.m. Monday through Friday, the Corporate Woods shuttle offers convenient travel for meetings between the Medical Center (Whipple Circle), the Lattimore office building, Corporate Woods offices (Buildings 30, 120, and 155), and Rustic Village.
- Gold Line - Beginning Monday, August 24th, the Gold Line Riverview Direct is a weekday line that travels between Rush Rhees Library, Brooks Crossing, Riverview Apartments Building C, Spruce Avenue and Genesee Street, and Wilson Blvd. at Hutchison Road from 7:28 a.m. to 5 p.m; Gold Line 19th Ward is line that operates nightly into the 19th Ward area and stops at Riverview & Brooks Crossing Apartments.
- Green Line - Beginning Saturday, August 22nd*, the Green Line offers easy access from River Campus to popular local shopping and entertainment destinations.
- Tuesdays & Wednesdays - This line stops on campus to College Town, Tops Plaza, and Costco from 5 pm - 8:45 pm.
- Saturdays - Marketplace - Offers easy access from River Campus to popular local destinations including Marketplace Mall, Wegmans, Target, Wal-Mart and Regal Cinemas.
- Sundays - Public Market (seasonal)* - *Beginning, Saturday, August 29, the Green Line Public Market offers service from the River Campus and the Eastman School of Music to the Rochester Public Market in early fall and late spring.
- Sundays - Service from River Campus to Tops Plaza, Twelve Corners, Clover Lanes, and Pittsford Plaza.
- Orange Line - Beginning Monday, August 24th, the Orange Line offers daily morning and evening service available with weekday and weekend schedules covering River Campus to Downtown Housing (East Ave., Monroe Ave., Alexander St.); this shuttle stops at Eastman Living Center on weekends and after 6:30 pm weekdays.
- Red Line - Beginning Monday, August 24th, the Red Line offers direct service from Rush Rhees Library to Eastman Living Center weekdays 7:30 am to 6:35 pm (the Orange Line stops at Eastman after 6:30 p.m. and on weekends).
- Silver Line - Beginning Monday, August 24th, the Silver Line runs continuously between the Park Lot, Wilson Blvd. at Hutchinson Rd., Rush Rhees Library, and Wilmot weekdays from 7:00 am to midnight.
Shuttle schedules change periodically, including holidays and school breaks, so check the Transportation website for the most recent schedules or contact the Parking Management Center.
Rides are Free with Campus ID
All shuttles are free with a University ID so be ready to swipe your UR ID as you embark on your journey. Swiping helps ensure transportation services are meeting demand, and it supports a safe and secure environment for riders.
Where's My Shuttle?
Wonder no more - University shuttles are outfitted with real-time tracking equipment. Simply go to the Transloc site on your computer or smartphone, or download the free smartphone app to see the buses on a map. Live tracking, arrival predictions, and proximity alerts are also available for all University bus lines.
Take Your Wheels on the Shuttle
Shuttles are cycle-friendly. Most University Shuttles have racks on the front that hold up to two bicycles. If you wish to use the bike rack, signal the driver that you are going to the front of the bus. You're responsible for loading and unloading your bicycle but it's a convenient way to get around town when you need to or to add exercise to your commute. (See the Transportation and Parking's Bikes On Shuttles website for handy tips for loading and unloading your bicycle from a shuttle bus.)
ZIPCAR is available here at the University of Rochester River Campus. This is another great program for those who qualify to use one of the four vehicles we have on site to get out and about in the Rochester area. To qualify, your student status will be confirmed and you must be at least 18 and have three years of driving experience with minimal or no points on your license. The hourly rate for vehicle rental is $7.00 per hour and includes all gas and insurance coverage. To find out more and apply for the UR discount membership rate of $35 go to www.zipcar.com/rochester/apply/.
NOTE: You will not see the option to select the $35 membership fee when completing your application until you actually enter the UR rate page. All information is verified here at the UR to confirm you are actually a current UR student. For this program you will need a valid credit card and a valid email address. Please note that the billing address for your credit card is where your ZIPCAR card will be sent.