Exchange 2010 FAQs
- When I am logged onto my computer on the UR domain, intermittently I get a popup of “AutoDiscover” that includes fields for typing in a username and password. What is this?
When a user who has a Microsoft Exchange account receives a shared calendar from an Office 365 user, the Exchange user will get the "AutoDiscover" popup. Their domain credentials can then be input and the checkbox for "Remember my password" can be checked.
- Why are Outlook 2010 and Outlook 2011 recommended?
Using Outlook 2010 or 2011 will allow you to use all of the features of Exchange 2010. Users on other clients may not be able access a feature if that client does not have specific support built in.
Outlook allows you to securely connect to all features of Exchange 2010 from outside of the University network without requiring an active virtual private network (VPN) connection.
- What are the differences between Entourage 2008 and Outlook 2011?
Differences between Outlook for Mac and Entourage:
- In Entourage, working in an inbox sorted with most recent item first, deleting an item causes focus to shift to the next more recent item; in Outlook, focus shifts to next less recent item.
- The keyboard shortcut for switching to the Calendar, which was Command-3 in Entourage, is Command-2 in Outlook; vice versa for switching to Contacts.
- The keyboard shortcut within Calendar for moving to the next/previous week, which was Command-]/[ in Entourage, is Command-RightArrow/LeftArrow in Outlook.
- The keyboard shortcut for opening Advanced Search, which was Option-Command-F in Entourage, is Shift-Command-F in Outlook.
- How do I create a password for my phone once I setup my email?
Refer to the getting started instructions for your device.
- Why am I being asked to create a security code on my personal cell phone after I set up my email on it?
It is a new policy to set up a passcode if you are syncing email to your phone. This will protect the data if your phone is lost or stolen.
- I have 10 failed passcode attempts. How do I access my handheld device?
All data on your handheld device will be erased after 10 failed passcode attempts.
- How do I retrieve an email that I deleted from my Deleted Items folder?
In Outlook, click Tools > Recover Deleted Items.
- Why is my mail all out of order in the Outlook Web App?
The Outlook Web App uses conversation view by default. Conversation view groups email that is part of a single chain of replies together for easier referencing. To turn this feature off:
1. Select the drop-down menu below the search bar that is labeled “Conversations by Date.”
2. Uncheck “Conversations.” This will revert the view to the behavior of the Exchange 2003 environment.
To turn the feature on in Outlook:
1. Select the View tab.
2. Click the "Show Conversations" checkbox.
3. Select any additional options from the menu below the checkbox.
- How do I stop Reply All from sending to my Inbox? (MAC)
If you are using email@example.com, then there are two addresses associated with your account, and your email client doesn't understand that they are the same person. You need to set your primary Outlook address to match the address that Reply All is trying to send to.
You can determine the appropriate address by looking in your Sent folder for the reply email and checking the CC field for your own name. You can set this address as your primary address by going to Outlook > Preferences > Accounts > Email address.
- Why are blocked senders getting through? (MAC)
Exchange 2010 doesn't recognize blocked senders reported by Mac email clients. You will need to use the Webmail client to add blocks. Blocks applied in the Webmail client will work across all clients.