- I recently switched / I am considering switching to Zimbra. What do I need to know?
See the Migrating to Zimbra page for more information.
- How do I connect to Zimbra?
Log in at https://z.rochester.edu/zimbra with your NetID and password. Please note that typing your NetID in all capital letters will not allow you to log in correctly; please use all lowercase letters. (See the Zimbra Login Tutorial for more information.)
- Which browsers will work with Zimbra?
The browsers below have been tested and work with Zimbra:
- Internet Explorer versions 6, 7 and 8
- Firefox, Version 3 or higher
- Safari, Version 3 or higher.
We recommend Firefox or Safari as preferred browsers for increased performance. If you experience performance issues in Internet Explorer 6, we recommend upgrading Internet Explorer to a newer version.
- Which desktop email clients will work with Zimbra?
We recommend you use the web interface; however, if you prefer to use a desktop client, the following have been tested and verified:
- Outlook with Zimbra Connector
- Thunderbird (email) and Lightning (calendar)
- Apple Mail and iCal
- Zimbra Desktop
We will assist you in configuring these email clients. For assistance, please contact the IT Help Desk at 275-2000.
- I forgot my password. How do I reset it?
You log in to Zimbra with your NetID, so you can go to the NetID home page for assistance resetting your password.
- I manage someone else's calendar. Do you have any tips?
Yes, please see the calendar tutorial.
- Is there a size limit on my Zimbra mailbox?
All users are allowed up to 7 Gigabytes of available space. Exceptions can be accommodated.
- Can I reserve a resource (conference room, training room, etc.) in Zimbra?
Unfortunately, this is not a feature that can be enabled within the Zimbra environment at this time. With multiple mail systems in place within the University, the resource cannot be shared between systems. You will need to resort to a manual effort to book resources.
- Is Zimbra linked with the Global Address List (GAL)?
Yes, you will notice a difference in the amount of information provided when you view a person in the GAL.
- How can I create an email distribution list (contact group) in Zimbra?
- Click the arrow next to "New" and select "Contact Group." A new window will appear.
- Enter a name for your group, and then add email addresses to your Contact Group either manually (comma separated) or by searching either the Global Address List or your own personal contacts. When done, click "Save."
- The Contact Group should now appear in your Address Book tab. Please note that if the GAL updates, your Contact Group will not; you will need to manually update the group in that event.
- What customization options do I have?
You can modify the look and feel of your account by clicking on the 'User Preferences' button.
- I can't view my calendar appointments, but recently they appeared correctly. What do I do?
This is likely a browser issue. Log out of Zimbra, then clear your cookies and cache. Log back in, and you should be able to view your appointments. Please contact the IT Help Desk at 275-2000 if you need assistance with clearing your cookies and cache or if this process does not solve the problem.
- The wrong name and address appear in the "TO" field when I'm composing a message. Why is this happening, and how do I fix it?
Zimbra automatically saves all email addresses that you have previously sent email to in your personal address book. This includes invalid addresses that you may have attempted to send to. To purge those saved entries:
- Navigate to Address Book, and in the left pane, select Emailed Clients.
- On the right side of the page, you can select all, or select specific names that you'd like removed. When that's done, click Delete.
- Right click on your trash icon and click Empty Trash.