Rochester Review is published 3 times annually
by the University of Rochester, Rochester, New York, USA
Departments Features Letters to the Editor
Rochester in Review
- The Class of 2003: Ready to go
- Sproull gift endows dean's fund
- Nursing School shifts focus
- Conferences draw academic 'tourists'
- Oh, that towering feeling!
- Program in Public Policy Analysis is suspended
- Chu, Williams elected to board
- Rochester Quotes
- In brief
- Demonstrations of diversity
- Sports: interview with new A.D.
- Letter from Nat Wisch, president, Trustees' Council of the College
- Alumni Councils
- UR Involved
- Hutchison Medal goes to Jay Last '51
- Manian honored by SEAS
- "Salty Talk," Ty Martin '52
- Dr. Red Sox, Arthur Pappas '57 (MD)
- Flying high, Michelle Viggiano Bryan '78
- He's got rhythm, David Finck '80E
- "Captain" Finance, Edmund Luzine '89S
- The next threat? Donald A. Henderson '54 (MD)
- River Campus Undergraduate
- River Campus Graduate
- Eastman School of Music
- School of Medicine and Dentistry
- School of Nursing
- In Memoriam
- Class Acts
- Alumni Relations: J. Nelson Hoffman '55
- In Appreciation: Howard '35 and Hildegarde Hennington
- Meliorist: Adam Konowe '90
Books & Recordings
by alumni and faculty
- Recommended Reading
Sascha Feinstein '85, jazz poet
Alumni Association Announcements
Special Report: Why Alzheimer's Patients Get Lost
by Tom Rickey
It's "motion blindness," not just poor memory, that causes them to lose their way, reports a new Medical Center study.
The Classics Are Always in Style
by Scott Hauser
"The wonderful thing about the study of Greek," says a Rochester classics professor, "is that it is not practical." But current undergraduates are still finding plenty of reasons for studying the classical underpinnings of what we call "Western civilization."
- Homer, Sweet Homer
Truly, Madly, Deeply Computing
by Scott Hauser
"It's important to work on the really tough challenges," says IBM's research director, Paul Horn '73 (PhD). By that he means the "unsolvable" ones--like teaching a computer to beat the world's greatest chess player.
- Who is Deep Blue
1998-99: A Year in Review
A look at the academic year just past: including such diverse enterprises as original undergraduate research in Pueblo pottery, faculty discoveries in self-assembling plastics, and collaborative explorations of how technology may remake the future of medicine.
Join Our Listserv
Want to be alerted by e-mail as soon as Rochester Review is posted to the Web? To receive regular e-mail synopses of the latest electronic issue, send an e-mail note to firstname.lastname@example.org. In the body of the message type, in lower case: subscribe rochrev
Rochester Review for the Web
Editor: Margaret Bond
Associate editor: Scott Hauser
Class Notes editor: Tricia Campbell
Design supervisor: Stephen Reynolds
Graphic artist: Jeannine Papelino
Webmaster: Joseph P. Chakalis, Sr.
Staff photographer: Joe Galowicz
Copy coordinator: Joyce Farrell
Editorial office: 147 Wallis Hall, University of Rochester, Rochester, NY 14627-0033
(716) 275-4117 | Fax: (716) 275-0359 | E-mail: email@example.com. edu
Published three times a year for alumni, students, their parents, and other friends of the University, Rochester Review is produced by the Office of University Public Relations, Robert Kraus, associate vice president for public relations.
Opinions expressed are those of the authors, the editors, or their subjects and do not necessarily represent official positions of the University of Rochester.
| UR Home | Mail |
Copyright 1999, University of Rochester
Maintained by University Public Relations