Office of the University Registrar

Grading Schemes—AS&E

Faculty may determine which grading scheme to use for a student by noting the number or letter in the CLASS column of the grade roster. Match this number or letter with the appropriate grading scheme below.

Note that there are two possible graduate student grading schemes. Faculty may assign grades to graduate students enrolled in 100-level courses according to the Undergraduate Student Grading Scheme. The S/F (satisfactory/fail) option is available only to matriculated undergraduate students in ASE during the academic year. Faculty choosing to use the undergraduate grading scheme for graduate students taking 100-level courses must submit the grade in writing to the Registrar.

Undergraduate Student Grading Scheme for Classifications:
RI, T5, CA, MT, PB, NU and any class year 1996-present
A Excellent 4.0
A-   3.7
B+   3.3
B Above average 3.0
B-   2.7
C+   2.3
C Minimum satisfactory grade 2.0
C-   1.7
D+   1.3
D   1.0
D- Minimum passing grade
(Note: D+ and D- grades may not be used for courses in the School of Engineering and Applied Sciences)
E Failure 0.0
XE Failure (Academic Dishonesty) 0.0
I Incomplete
P Pass (pass-fail system)
For all xxxP courses and PSY 368 but NO others
S Satisfactory (satisfactory-fail option)  
F Failure (satisfactory-fail option and pass-fail system)  
XF Failure (Academic Dishonesty in S/F graded course)
N No grade reported  
CR Credit
(ONLY courses MUR 151 through 159, ONLY through spring 1995)
NC No Credit
(ONLY courses MUR 151 through 159, ONLY through spring 1995)
W Withdraw without effect on the grade-point average  
W05 A W with a numeric suffix indicates the week the course was dropped  
Graduate Student Grading Scheme:
Graduate Classifications: G, NG
A Excellent
B Good
C Poor
E Failure
I Incomplete
IE Incomplete and failure
W Withdrawn
N No grade reported
Graduate Student Grading Scheme:
S Satisfactory
E Failure
I Incomplete
N No grade reported
IE Incomplete and failure
W Withdrawn

Please Note: Graduate Grading Schemes may NOT be mixed. All graduate students in a course must be graded according to the same system. (Reading and research courses are excluded from this rule.) Dissertation courses (897, 997/899, 999) may be graded only with the ALTERNATIVE GRADING SCHEME.