University of Rochester

Helpful Phone Numbers

Appointment Line

Health Information
275-1160 (General)

UHS Insurance Office

Health Promotion Office

UHS Patient Advocate

Please send questions about the technical structure/operation to the UHS Web Master
Last modified: Thursday, 04-Aug-2016 12:40:48 EDT

University Health Service (UHS)

Services for Full-Time Students

The University Health Service (UHS) provides a full range of confidential, high quality primary care services for full-time students.

UHS services include:

The UHS clinical staff includes registered nurses, nurse practitioners, and physicians, all of whom have a special interest in the care and treatment of students and other members of a college community. Visits to UHS are scheduled by calling 585-275-2662. All visits to UHS are confidential. UHS Information Sheet

Paying for Services:

All full-time students pay the mandatory health fee, which covers office visits at the University Health Service and the University Counseling Center. In addition, full-time students must have health insurance. Students can enroll in the University-sponsored insurance plan offered by UHS, or they can remain on their own University approved insurance plan. Coverage needs to be in effect from August 1 through July 31. For more information, see Student Health Plan.

NOTE: The mandatory health fee covers the cost of primary care visits with a UHS health care provider. It does not cover the cost of laboratory tests, x-rays, medications, physical therapy, procedures, and visits with specialists. These services will be billed to your health insurance plan.

Primary Care

The mandatory health fee covers unlimited primary care visits with physicians, nurse practitioners, and registered nurses at the University Health Service. All full-time students have a primary care provider (PCP) at UHS. Students are encouraged to schedule appointments with their PCP whenever possible. Visits are scheduled by calling 585-275-2662.

Access to Care 24 Hours a Day

Whenever UHS is closed, a UHS physician is available by phone (585-275-2662) for urgent concerns that cannot wait until the offices re-open. A mental health professional is on-call and available by phone (585-275-3113) 24 hours a day throughout the year.

Allergy Injections & Immunizations

Students can arrange to receive their allergy injections at any UHS office. Immunizations for travel and other vaccines (i.e., flu shot, HPV vaccine, Hepatitis B vaccine) are also given at UHS. There is no charge for the administration of the vaccine; however, there is a charge for the serum or vaccine. For more information about travel immunizations, see Travel Care below.

Counseling at the University Counseling Center

The University Counseling Center (UCC) provides a comprehensive initial assessment and an individualized treatment plan to members of the University of Rochester community who pay the mandatory health fee. Based on the initial assessment, a treatment plan is developed by the clinician that addresses the client's unique needs and concerns. This plan may include recommendations such as, but not limited to: group therapy, workshops, brief therapy, referrals to community provider for specialized treatment or longer term therapy services, Therapist Assisted On-line (TAO), case management services, psychiatry or other campus services. For a handout about UCC services, click here.

Health Education

The UHS Health Promotion Office provides programs, campus-wide events, and information to help students make informed decisions about their personal health. Check Health Promotion on this web site to "Ask the Expert" a question and or call 273-5775 for information about Student Health 101, Healthy Monday@UR, SWARM training, Peer Health Advocacy, and more. Check Health Topics for information about a wide variety of topics.

Health Information

UHS patients can call 585-275-1160 to speak with a registered nurse about a health concern. Patients can use Contact Us on this web site to ask a question. Health Topics on this web site provides fact sheets and links to health-related web sites.

Laboratory Tests, Procedures, and X-Rays

Most laboratory tests and procedures are completed during a visit to UHS. Patients needing X-rays are referred to the Department of Radiology at Strong Memorial Hospital. Click on Laboratory Tests & Procedures at UHS for more information.


Several non-prescription and prescription medications prescribed by UHS providers are available for purchase at UHS offices, often at a lower cost than at a local pharmacy. The University-sponsored insurance plan includes coverage for prescription medications. For specifics, see the plan benefits on the University of Rochester Aetna Student Health web site. Students may want to take advantage of the prescription drug discount card plan offered by Monroe County at no cost. The prescription discount plan is under "On-Line Forms." The discount card cannot be used for purchasing medications at UHS.

Patient Advocate

The UHS Patient Advocate represents the interests and concerns of patients. She works on the behalf of patients to review and resolve questions or grievances with the services or care they receive at UHS. The Patient Advocate can be contacted by e-mail (, phone (585-273-5770), in person (Room 227 in the UHS Building), or by leaving a comment in a UHS comment box.

Physical Therapy

UHS offers physical therapy services at the Eastman School of Music and on the River Campus.

Referrals to Specialists

Students needing to see a specialist for a consultation will be referred to a specialist in the area by their UHS health care provider. Students enrolled on the University-sponsored plan are required to have a referral from a UHS or UCC provider in advance of the specialist visit to assure coverage. Co-pays and deductibles may apply. Call your insurance plan Customer Service phone number in advance for coverage details.

Travel Care & Immunizations

Students planning to travel outside the United States can see their UHS primary care provider to review health risks, update immunizations, and plan for health care while abroad. An office visit should be scheduled at least 30 days in advance of travel to assure vaccine effectiveness and time to purchase any necessary supplies. Before coming for your visit, check the Travelers' Health page on the CDC website for information about immunizations required for the country to which you are traveling.

For more information, contact Linda Dudman in the UHS Health Promotion Office at (585) 273-5770 or