University Health Service (UHS)
UHS Health Promotion Office
The UHS Health Promotion Office emphasizes awareness of current health issues, prevention of disease and illness, and promotion of health and wellness. The primary goal of the Health Promotion Office is to provide opportunities for members of the University of Rochester community to develop health-promoting skills and attitudes necessary to make responsible decisions about personal health and health care.
The UHS Health Promotion Office is located on the second floor of the UHS Building (Rooms 225, 227, and 228) on the River Campus. The Health Promotion Office is open weekdays throughout the year.
Programs & Services for Students:
- UR Healthy Challenge. The UR Healthy Challenge is a two week challenge inspiring students to thrive on campus. Take a kickboxing class at the GAC, visit the farmer's market in Flaum Atrium, meditate at the Interfaith Chapel, learn how to make healthy food fun … choose from over 25 activities, earn points, and win! The UR Healthy Challenge is taking place September 19-30.
- Ask the Expert. Have a question? We have the answers. Amy Nadelen, UHS Health Educator, will answer 2-3 questions each month in our online Student Health 101 magazine.
- Student Health 101.This online monthly health and wellness magazine, especially for UR students, features articles addressing health issues on a variety of topics including stress, sleep, nutrition, alcohol, sexual health, colds, flu, and more.
- The Stall Street Journal. Look for this monthly newsletter in the bathroom stalls in the residence halls.
- Healthy Monday@ UR. Healthy Monday events are designed to help students adopt and maintain healthy and active lifestyles. For more information, check our Healthy Monday page on this web site.
- UR Healthy and Feel Fabulous in February! The UHS Health Promotion offers programming devoted to mental, physical, spiritual, sexual, and social well-being in September (UR Healthy) and in February (Feel Fabulous in February)! Check The Report, Grads@rochester, and the UHS Health Promotion Office Facebook page to find programs, events, and activities focused on health.
- SWARM (Students Wanting Alcohol Responsibly Monitored). SWARM is a program that encourages students to make an intentional decision to intervene in a situation that has the potential to be risky, dangerous, unhealthy, or an emergency. Contact the UHS Health Promotion Office to register for SWARM training for yourself or your group.
- The UHS Health Promotion Office works with student groups to offer health-related programs. If your group would like to co-sponsor a program with the UHS Health Promotion Office, write to firstname.lastname@example.org or call 585-273-5775.
- Web-based health assessments and BASICS, a confidential alcohol assessment with the UHS Health Educator.
- Free brochures, fact sheets on a wide variety of health topics, and links to health-related web sites.
Opportunities include joining the UR Student Health Advisory Committee (URSHAC), enrolling in the Peer Health Advocacy class, joining the Peer Health Advocate Team, collaborating with UHS Health Promotion Office staff members on a specific project, co-sponsoring programs and events with the UHS Health Promotion Office, and working as a student staff member in the office. For more information, click here.