University Health Service (UHS)
Information for Students in the
Simon School ELUSC Program
Welcome to the University of Rochester! The University Health Service (UHS) provides health care services for students at the University of Rochester. We have medical offices on the River Campus, in the Medical Center, and at the Eastman School of Music. We look forward to meeting your health care needs while you are a student.
Student Health Plan
As a full-time student at the University of Rochester, you participate in the comprehensive student health plan offered by the University Health Service (UHS). The health plan includes the mandatory health fee and health insurance.
- Mandatory Health Fee: This fee covers the cost of visits to the University Health Service (UHS) and the University Counseling Center (UCC). These offices are located in the UHS Building on the University of Rochester campus. All full-time students must pay this fee.
- Health Insurance: In addition to the mandatory health fee, all full-time students must have health insurance. Health insurance coverage provides coverage for services such as hospitalization, surgery, diagnostic laboratory tests and x-rays, and prescription medications. Students may enroll in the University-sponsored health insurance plan or waive the insurance plan if they have alternate coverage that can be verified as meeting the University insurance criteria.
Health Requirements & Deadlines
All incoming full-time students must complete the following requirements before the start of classes:
- Health History Form & Immunization Requirement: New York State law mandates the documentation of immunizations prior to starting school.
- The Health History Form will be e-mailed to students who are beginning the Summer Simon School ELUSC Program. (NOTE: Students who are beginning the ELUSC program at another time during the year must use the scannable paper form that is mailed to students.)
- Students must obtain documentation of their immunizations prior to leaving their home country. The form must be signed by a health care professional.
- You can mail the form to the University Health Service or bring the form to the University Health Service prior to the start of classes. The address is on the form.
- For more information about the immunization requirement, check http://www.rochester.edu/uhs/healthcare/files/ImmunizationReq.pdf .
- Health Insurance Enrollment/Waiver Process: Each year all full-time students must complete the Health Insurance Enrollment/Waiver Process to enroll in the University-sponsored plan or to apply to waive the University-sponsored insurance plan if they have health insurance that meets the University insurance criteria. See the instructions below for completing the Health Insurance Enrollment/Waiver Process.
Completing the Health Insurance Enrollment/Waiver Process
All full-time students must complete the Health Insurance Enrollment/Waiver Process before the start of classes.
TO ENROLL in the University-sponsored health insurance.
Enrollment in the University-sponsored health insurance is strongly recommended for students in the Simon School ELUSC Program. This plan meets all of the University criteria.
TO APPLY FOR A WAIVER of the University-sponsored health insurance.
- To enroll, send an e-mail message to the UHS Insurance Advisor to let her know you will be enrolling in the Aetna Student Health Insurance Plan. Include the following information in your e-mail message: your name, your student ID number, and your birthdate. Please put "Simon School ELUSC Program" in the subject line.
- If you enroll in the University-sponsored insurance plan, you will be enrolled from June 1, 2013-July 31, 2014.
- If you have questions, write to the UHS Insurance Advisor at email@example.com.
Students who have health insurance coverage that meets all of the University insurance criteria can apply for a waiver of the University-sponsored health insurance. The completed form must be received by the University Health Service before the start of classes.
- Complete Section I on the appropriate form.
Send the form to your insurance company to complete Section II.
- If your insurance company is based in the United States, use the Health Insurance Waiver Form.
- If your insurance company is based outside the United States, use the Insurance Verification Form for International-Based Insurance Plans.
Please note: International-based plans often do not meet University criteria for waiver. We highly recommend checking the University criteria carefully before deciding to purchase insurance from an international-based company.
A representative from your insurance company must sign the form to verify your insurance plan meets all of the University criteria.
Your insurance company must send the signed form to the UHS Insurance Advisor before the start of classes. The form can be sent by e-mail (firstname.lastname@example.org) or by fax (585-756-0263).
Insurance Coverage for a Spouse and/or Dependent Children
If your spouse and/or dependent children will be with you in Rochester, we strongly recommend having health insurance coverage for them. Students who enroll in the University-sponsored insurance can enroll their spouse and/or dependent children in the insurance plan. For information about coverage for family members, check the UHS web site. The UHS Insurance Advisor is available at email@example.com to assist with questions.
About the University-Sponsored Health Insurance Plan
The University-sponsored insurance plan is offered by Aetna Student Health. This plan is a comprehensive program that combines the resources of the University Health Service (UHS) for on-site primary care and mental health services with a health insurance benefit plan that provides a network of specialists and hospitals. The Plan provides coverage for illnesses and injuries that occur on or off campus, while at home, and also provides worldwide coverage. For more information about the Aetna Student Health insurance plan, check View Plan Details on the University of Rochester page on the Aetna Student Health web site.
About the Health History Form and Immunization Requirement
About the Health Insurance Enrollment/Waiver Process