University Health Service (UHS)
Insurance for Graduating Students
Graduating students are encouraged to check their health insurance status to assure continuing coverage and access to health care following graduation.
- Students enrolled in the University-sponsored Aetna Student Health Insurance:
- Length of Coverage: Once an eligible full time student enrolls on the UR-sponsored insurance plan, coverage continues through the end of the semester/term in which they cease to be a full time registered student. For students graduating in the fall, the end date is December 31. For students graduating in the spring, coverage ends on July 31.
- Continuation Plan: Students who are enrolled in the UR-sponsored insurance plan through Aetna Student Health can choose to enroll in Aetna Student Health's "Continuation Plan," as long as they enroll within 30 days of loss of coverage. The continuation plan is for three months immediately following the end of coverage (i.e., August 1-October 31 for students graduating in the spring or January 1-March 31 for students graduating in December). The cost is $1032 for the three months. The continuation plan through Aetna Student Health is the only option available through UR for graduating students.
- Students covered on their parent's insurance plan:
- We recommend checking with your insurance company to determine if you can continue on the plan after graduation.
- Many young adults can remain on their parent's health insurance plan until their 26th birthday if the policy covers dependent children.
Please write to firstname.lastname@example.org with questions and/or requests for enrollment information. Please note: Coverage by the mandatory health fee continues through the end of the semester/term (July 31 for students graduating in the spring and December 31 for students graduating in the fall).