University Health Service (UHS)
Health Insurance for Special Programs
Study Abroad & In Absentia
Students who will be studying abroad or in absentia can enroll in the University-sponsored health insurance plan offered through UHS, or they can remain on their parent's or their own health insurance.
For the semester(s) you will be abroad, you can:
- Remain on your own, or your parent's, health insurance: If you remain on your own insurance, you do not need to complete the Online Insurance Process for the semester(s) you will be abroad or in absentia. With this option, you do not pay the mandatory health fee. When you return to Rochester, you are welcome to come to UHS for care. You will be charged for your visit(s) until you begin paying the mandatory health fee. You will need to complete the Online Insurance Process prior to the beginning of the semester you return to campus.
- Enroll in the University-sponsored health insurance: If you choose this option, complete the Special Program Insurance Eligibility Form and send it to the UHS Insurance Advisor by fax (585-756-0263) or by e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org. You will be billed for the mandatory health fee and health insurance on your tuition billing statement. If you return to campus before the start of the next semester, your visits to UHS will be covered by the mandatory health fee.
When you return to campus:
- Returning in January: If you were abroad during the fall semester, must complete the Online Insurance Process for the spring semester. You will have the option of enrolling in the University-sponsored health insurance plan or waiving the insurance if your plan meets the University criteria. The Winter Open Enrollment period is from November 7 through January 31.
- The link to the Online Insurance Process is in the pink Quick Links box on the UHS home page. The link will re-open for the Winter Enrollment Period in early November and will remain open until January 31.
- If you were enrolled in the University-sponsored insurance plan while you were abroad, your enrollment will continue through July 31. If you have questions, you can contact the UHS Insurance Advisor at email@example.com.
- Returning in September: Students who were abroad during the spring semester and are returning to campus for the fall semester, must complete the Online Insurance Process during the Fall Open Enrollment period (June 7 – September 15). The link is in the pink Quick Links box on the UHS home page.
About the University-Sponsored Insurance:
For more information about the University-sponsored health insurance, check View Plan Details on the University of Rochester page on the Aetna Student Health web site.
If you have questions about health insurance:
Contact the UHS Insurance Advisor, at firstname.lastname@example.org