University Health Service (UHS)
Health Promotion Office
UR Student Health Advisory Committee
It's your health… It's your voice.
What is URSHAC?
University of Rochester Student Health Advisory Committee (URSHAC) is comprised of students. All students are invited to join URSHAC. URSHAC has a diverse membership with students from a variety of backgrounds, interests and majors.
URSHAC offers students the opportunity to have an impact on the health care services offered by the University Health Service (UHS). The committee, which is chaired by students, meets every two to three weeks with the Director of the University Health Service.
Students are encouraged to share ideas, discuss topics of concern, and offer suggestions for improving services offered by UHS. Members provide feedback on changes being considered by UHS. URSHAC also co-sponsors health-related events with the UHS Health Promotion Office and student groups.
Why choose URSHAC? It's your health… it's your voice.
As a member, you will have the opportunity to:
- Talk directly to the Director of UHS and provide advice into the operations of UHS.
- Develop insight into healthcare in a college setting.
- Develop leadership skills.
- Enhance your professional development.
- Meet fellow students and UHS staff.
- Participate in the interview process for healthcare provider candidates.
How do I get Involved?
Meetings are open to all students at the University of Rochester. There is no application process. Students are welcome to join the committee at any time during the year. Please contact Ryan Wier, Student Chair, or Linda Dudman, Staff Advisor, if you would like more information about URSHAC.
Meeting Schedule – Spring 2014
Meetings are held 4-6 times a semester.
The committee meets on Wednesdays at 5:00 p.m. on the second floor of the UHS Building. Light refreshments will be provided.
- January 29
- February 19
- March 26
- April 16
URSHAC has been involved in a wide range of activities, including:
- Smoke-free Campus Initiative: Took lead role in supporting the move to a totally smoke-free campus. Held Open Forum on January 29, 2014 to continue to the conversation about the University of Rochester becoming a smoke-free campus.
- STD Testing: Recommended coverage of STD tests by the mandatory health fee beginning fall 2012. (Note: This coverage has been changed beginning fall 2013 as a result of Aetna Student Health insurance now covering STD testing.)
- GYT at UHS: Supported and promoted the "Get Yourself Tested" campaign.
- Waiting Room: Privacy/confidentiality issues with layout of first floor waiting room were made with URSHAC input.
- Therapy Dogs: Offered suggestions for ways UHS could use therapy dogs to help students. The monthly "PAWS for Stress Relief" program resulted.
- Participated in interviews for the position of Director of the University Counseling Center.
- Waiting Room Posters: Discussed using waiting rooms for patient education.
- Educated Students: Shared information about UHS services with students. Reviewed and recommended changes to written materials about UHS.
- Reviewed and recommended changes to written materials about UHS.
- Participated in UHS Health Promotion events including the Sex and Chocolate Health Fair, Feel Fabulous in February events, and Flu Vaccine Clinics.
Student Chair: Ryan Wier
Staff Advisor: Linda Dudman, Associate Director, Health Promotion