Office of Human Resources
Staff Community Service Award
Nominations Due: February 15, 2017
This award was established by President Joel Seligman in December 2007 to honor a University non-management staff member “whose career best exemplifies service to the University of Rochester or the Greater Rochester community” and that occurred in a capacity outside of their usual assignment.
The first award was presented posthumously to Latasha E. Shaw, a 15-year University employee and an active member of the Service Employees International Union, whose life and service inspired its creation.
The Staff Community Service Award (SCSA) is awarded annually to a non-management staff person in recognition of outstanding contributions to the University of Rochester community (in a capacity other than their usual assignment) and/or in the greater Rochester community.
Nominations are accepted to recognize achievement of a singular outstanding event or the continuous outstanding and dedicated service the individual has provided over a long period of time.
All active full- and part-time University of Rochester staff, other than supervisory and management personnel, with a minimum of one year of service may be nominated. Nominations may recognize:
- Long-serving high achievement for a local community organization, neighborhood group or association, or the University community.
- A record of significant and sustained community service such as volunteering with charitable, nonprofit organizations, or within the University community.
- A nominee who has demonstrated any of the following:
- “Leading the charge” in order to initiate a community project or University initiative outside of their usual assignment.
- Serving as an inspiration to others through his or her persistent excellence either at the University (in a capacity other than their usual assignment) or in the general community.
- Providing assistance to a local community or University project that had a positive impact on individuals.
- In November of each year, the Associate Vice President for Human Resources and Chief Human Resources Officer issues a call to the UR Community for nominations.
- The SCSA Selection Committee will select one honoree annually based on the criteria noted.
A cash award of $2,500 will be shared by the recipient ($1,500) and the organization ($1,000) that the recipient has worked with to provide the service. In addition the University will waive the cost of their current parking permit for one year.
The recipient's name will be inscribed on recognition boards placed in prominent locations at the Medical Center and in Wallis Hall, in addition to receiving a certificate and being honored by the Board of Trustees. The awardee will also be featured in University publications and invited to attend a reception in his or her honor.
Nominations may be submitted by current University of Rochester faculty, students and staff, teams, groups, units, or organizations.
The award recipient will be selected by the Staff Community Service Award Selection Committee
For each nominee, submit by February 15, 2017:
- A separate nomination form:
- A nominating statement of no more than three pages explaining how the nominee satisfies the award criteria. Please be specific, providing concrete examples.
- A letter of support (each no more than one page) from those who have been directly affected by this nominee’s service. One letter of support must be from the community group or nonprofit organization supported by the nominee, or if the nomination is for University service, the letter needs to be from the nominee’s supervisor.
- Relevant supporting documentation may be attached but is not required.
Completed nomination packets must be submitted to:
Staff Community Service Award Selection Committee
c/o Associate Vice President for Human Resources and Chief Human Resources Officer
E-mail: Staff Community Service Award Nominations (on global)
Intramural Mail: Box 270013
- River Campus: 263 Wallis Hall (HR-AVP/CHRO Office)
- Medical Center: Room 1-6039 (Medical Center HR Office)
- College Town: 44 Celebration Drive, Suite 2300 (Benefits Office)
- Brooks Landing: 910 Genesee St, Suite 100 (HR Service Center)