Women’s Network Scholar: Angelica Persaud ’25

This first-year student is making the most out of her college experience

Angelica Persaud '25

Angelica Persaud ’25

Angelica Persaud ’25—a first generation student passionate about physics and optics—grew up in the Bronx, the child of immigrants. Her mother is from Mexico, her father from Guyana. Persaud dreamed of going to college someday, and she has worked hard to get to the University of Rochester.

In eighth grade, Persaud tested into a top-notch high school in New York City. She traveled one and a half hours to and from every day. Until then, she thought her life was like everyone else’s. “In the new high school, I quickly realized that what was normal for me wasn’t normal for everyone,” she says, noting that she came from a low-income neighborhood and didn’t have a lot of resources. “In 10th grade, I remember this one girl telling me how she was up so late the night before, finishing up her math homework with her father who was upset that it hadn’t been done earlier. It made me realize that my father wouldn’t even know how to do this kind of math.”

Persaud’s father, a property manager with a strong work ethic, always wanted her and her two siblings to go to college. So has her mother—who is also a college student and a source of great inspiration to Persaud.

“Back when I was in middle school, my mom learned English and then got her high school GED,” says Persaud. “After that, she earned her associates degree from a community college, and now she going to school part-time to get her bachelor’s, all while working at a hospital lab.”

Last year, Persaud’s mother had COVID-19 and was very sick for a month. Persaud helped take care of the family during that time—she cooked and cleaned and kept with her schoolwork. “That was a scary experience,” she says. “And it made me so grateful for my mother and all she does for us.”

“Because of the generosity of people I don’t even know, like those in the Women’s Network, I can attend the University of Rochester. I am so grateful.”

Being at Rochester

Persaud, who had never left home before, is now hundreds of miles away in Rochester. She was drawn to Rochester for its open curriculum, robust extracurricular program, and research opportunities. She’s embraced the college experience and acknowledges that it’s been an adjustment.

“I come from a small family and small high school,” she says. “It’s very different here, yet very exciting to live in a dorm and be around a lot of people who are from so many different places and backgrounds.”

Embracing it all

Persaud’s also excited by the academic program here. In high school, she loved physics. She assumed she’d be a physics major here. Then in the summer of 2021, she took a virtual introduction to optics workshop offered through the Institute of Optics. She loved learning about optics and is now taking a class in it this fall. She’s also now planning to major in optical engineering.

“Optics is hard, but I like that, and physics is a big part of it,” she says. “I’m also really enjoying my sustainable energy class, so I’ll probably pursue a cluster in that. I know that with whatever path I take, I want to be part of the solution. I want to answer challenging questions that will make the world better.”

Persaud’s embracing new experiences, too. For instance, she joined Bhangra, the Indian folk dancing group on campus. She also signed up for SALSITA, which provides opportunities for first-year students like her to try out leadership positions within SALSA, the Spanish and Latino Students’ Association. She’s made like-minded friends through both groups, too, and can often be found in a dining hall or in the library studying with them. “I want to take advantage of everything college has to offer,” she says, noting that she’s also very interested in leadership, networking, and community service activities.

Full of gratitude

Rochester was Persaud’s dream school. The strong financial aid package she received—including the Women’s Network Scholarship—makes it possible for her to attend. The Women’s Network Scholarship helps support students like Persaud who have with financial need, demonstrate excellent character, and advance the University’s goal of having a more diverse student body.

“I wanted to go away to school and have new experiences and opportunities,” she says. “Because of the generosity of people I don’t even know, like those in the Women’s Network, I can attend the University of Rochester. I am so grateful.”

Women's Network logo

The Women’s Network

The volunteer-led Women’s Network has a mission to harness and celebrate the rich contributions of women around the globe who are part of the University’s family. Learn more about the Women’s Network Challenge and how to support students through the Women’s Network Scholarship.

Photo: Matt Wittmeyer

—Kristine Kappel Thompson, October 2021