History in the making

History in the making

Brandon Pachman ’20, ’21 (MA) reflects on witnessing the confirmation of Ketanji Brown Jackson to the U.S. Supreme Court

Brandon Pachman '20, '21 (MA) with Senator Amy Klobuchar

Brandon Pachman ’20, ’21 (MA) with Senator Amy Klobuchar

On April 7, 2022, the Senate voted to confirm Judge Ketanji Brown Jackson as the 116th Supreme Court justice. When sworn in this summer, Jackson will be the first Black woman to serve on the nation’s highest court.

As a congressional intern with Senator Amy Klobuchar’s office, Brandon Pachman ’20, ’21 (MA) watched the historic moment unfold from his seat in the Senate gallery. Here, Pachman looks back on that incredible day and the journey that led him there.

What did it mean to you to witness the confirmation of Judge Brown Jackson?

It’s difficult to find the words for something so special. I spent a lot of time studying history at UR, but truly saw it happening in real time that day. The energy was electric, and the room erupted with joy when the announcement came through. I’ll remember it for the rest of my life.

How did you come to intern with the Senate?

I’ve always had a passion for public service and international relations. As an undergraduate, I interned at the U.S. Embassy to Italy in Rome. I wanted to learn more about the legislative process and how Congress works, so I moved to Washington, D.C. after completing my master’s degree. After six months with The Counterterrorism Group, I started my current role in January 2022.

How did your experience at the University of Rochester influence your career path? 

The University allowed me to fully embrace my love of history by forging my own path in a multidisciplinary way that isn’t possible at other schools. My grandfather was a Holocaust survivor, and I understand that what we read about in textbooks happened to real people. It was easy to make the most of my education at UR, and I’m very fortunate to have had the chance to study there.

What’s the most rewarding part of your job?

No two days look alike. I’ve conducted background research on the war in Ukraine, handled constituent services, and even helped prepare briefing materials for Senator Klobuchar’s meetings with foreign dignitaries. The fast pace is exciting, and I’ve gained such a unique perspective on major world events.

What are you looking forward to next? 

I hope to stay in Washington, D.C., continue my public service career, and hopefully one day join the United States Foreign Service. I can’t wait to see what the future holds.

— Alyssa Davis, May 2022