Rochester resonates with us all

Rochester resonates with us all

Meet leader of both the Bay Area Regional Network and California Women’s Network, Shawnessy Dusseau ’04

Shawnessy Dusseau ’04

Shawnessy Dusseau ’04

What was your time like as a student?

There were many things that I really enjoyed at the University of Rochester. I had an opportunity to join the field hockey team, study abroad, and be a part of the Take 5 Scholar program. I met so many different people from all over, which was nice coming from a small town. I will always take away the experiences, classes, and people from my time at Rochester.

How did your experience at the University of Rochester influence your life? 

It has probably influenced me more than I’ll ever realize. I grew more into myself during college and in the subsequent years. I was hopeful that the people I’d meet would become lifelong friends, and I’m thrilled that has been the case! Also, my love of travel started during my study abroad semesters and has since solidified.

What made you want to become part of the San Francisco Network Leadership Council

I moved to San Francisco five years ago and was looking to build my local network. The University of Rochester alumni group was one of those ways. After attending a few local events, it was a natural way to step up and get more involved. Before I knew it, I was on the committee helping to organize different events and groups.

What’s the most rewarding part of staying connected with your alma mater? 

Spending four years at Rochester connects you with fellow alumni in a certain way, even if they are graduates from decades ago or recent graduates. There’s something about Rochester that resonates with us all and it’s great to share those experiences, even if you didn’t go to school together.

What are you looking forward to next?

I am looking forward to seeing some of my local alumni in person at the Global Days of Service next month!

What advice do you have for others looking to get involved? 

Get involved! It’s great to meet new people, especially now in COVID times. You can do as little or much as you are able, while maintaining your Rochester connections. Show up to the next California Women’s Group happy hour or help organize a local alumni event in your region. The University of Rochester is here to support us.