Fulfilling an early career wish through mentorship

Leading by example, meet driven mentor and alumni volunteer Mario Simpson ’99

headshot of Mario Simpson

Mario Simpson ’99

Tell us about your time as a student.

My time as a student was challenging. I was an electrical engineering student, on the track team, worked part-time, was an active member of the National Society of Black Engineers (NSBE), and volunteered in the Rochester community at Baden Street, so finding the right balance for everything was challenging. My favorite classes were those that had a lab component to them because I was able to build something and see the theory being applied in a practical way.

How did your experience at the University of Rochester influence your life?

The University of Rochester influenced my life by helping me develop the ability to think critically and solve challenging problems. That’s something I use in all aspects of my life. In my day-to-day work as an engineer, as well as in my evaluation of business opportunities.

What inspired you to get involved and volunteer?

I was inspired to give back to the University and volunteer as a mentor to give current students access to a mentor working, or one who had worked, in the career area they were thinking of pursuing. I never had a career mentor during my time at Rochester, but I had a few mentors once I started working professionally and I learned so much. Early in my career I would sometimes think, “I wish I would have known this”, or “I wish someone would have pointed me in this direction earlier”. By volunteering, I’m trying to fulfill that wish for others.

What’s the most rewarding part of staying connected with your alma mater?

The most rewarding part is mentoring. Hearing all the great things a student is doing, from a philosophy perspective, for example, and thinking, wow, the next generation of graduates/professionals are on another level. As a Real Readers mentor, it’s also rewarding to see writing pieces towards the beginning of a class, provide some feedback and share some of my career experiences, and see how the student takes that information in and uses it to guide their final writing piece.

What are you looking forward to next?

I’m looking forward to scaling back. Passing the torch to the next person.

What advice do you have for others looking to get involved?

Find an area or something that you’re passionate about and partner up with the Alumni Relations team to lend your expertise to the University’s initiatives and/or help develop new programs and events in those areas.