Driven to make a difference

Driven to make a difference

Meet avid Meliora Collective mentor and collaborative volunteer launching a global nonprofit Martin Levine ’68

Martin Levine ’68 headshotShare a bit about yourself, your time at UR and your journey since you graduated.

In many ways the academic experience and friends I made at Rochester formed the foundation for a career journey I could never have anticipated. It’s led me from teaching political science at Miami University, to government service, social impact investing and international consulting. And coming full circle, along with six other Rochester alumni, this spring I’ve launched a global nonprofit – Acting Globally.

How did you reconnect with the University and what inspired you to get involved?

I reconnected with Rochester last year at the Fenno Conference in Washington – an inspiring event celebrating the legacy of one of our University’s most acclaimed political scientists. The day I spent there brought back a flood of memories from my time as a political science major. I met current Rochester faculty and dozens of fellow alumni, including two who graduated with my class. I was hooked! I knew I wanted to get back into the Rochester orbit.

How have you been engaged as a volunteer?

People in the Office of Alumni Relations encouraged me to join The Meliora Collective. That led to my serving as a mentor for two alumni and a graduating senior and it’s been enormously rewarding. I’ve become friends with an alum who lives in Japan; a ’21 graduate in Washington, DC; and an international student. Our pairings have become mentoring partnerships, as I’ve learned so much from them. Last month I served as an “Industry Connector” at the inaugural Rochester Connects networking event in Washington – introducing students and other alumni to opportunities in the nonprofit sector.

What advice do you have for fellow alumni and friends who may be interested in taking a more active role in the UR community?

Just jump in! There are so many points of entry – join the online Meliora Collective or attend an alumni-and-friends event. You can also reach out to the wonderful people in the Office of Alumni Relations and Constituent Engagement and they’ll offer you a whole menu of ways to get involved.

Tell us a little more about the nonprofit you’re launching with other alumni.

Acting Globally engages people around the world to have an impact on global challenges, ranging from climate change to access to healthcare and education. We provide opportunities for individuals to volunteer their talents – remotely or on-site – with grassroots groups in developing countries. We currently have pilot partnerships underway working with two groups in Africa – one of which was founded by a Class of 2021 Rochester graduate. In addition to the Rochester alumni who are engaged in this initiative, we’re exploring other ways to expand our partnership with the University. To learn more or get involved, make sure to visit our website. We’re all proud to be part of the committed, caring University of Rochester community.