Uncovering insights and interests through mentorship

Meet science buff, storyteller, and seasoned mentor Robin Williamson ’98, ’19W (MS)

Robin Williamson ’98, ’19W (MS)

Tell us about your time as a student (favorite classes, clubs, memories, etc.)

The things I remember the most about my time at Rochester are spending time with friends, choir, taking whatever classes I wanted, and science labs. I am still close with some of my University friends…in fact one friend is visiting me this weekend with her family.

How did your experience at the University of Rochester influence your life?

Rochester was a place where I was encouraged to explore whatever I was interested in and that has significantly impacted my life. When I became interested in working in a lab, my advisor identified a funded summer research opportunity for me so I could learn with other students and get paid. When I fell in love with learning American Sign Language (ASL), we designed an independent study minor to capture the ASL classes I was taking. When I realized how much I enjoyed teaching, I was able to work as a teaching assistant for various courses. These and other experiences prepared me for the different careers I have had. More importantly, they instilled in me a sense that I could explore various interests in deep and meaningful ways.

What inspired you to get involved and volunteer?

I was inspired to get involved with the Real Reader Program and The Meliora Collective Mentorship Program because I did not think I had had a deep understanding of all the opportunities available to me when I was starting out. I think my career path has been a bit unusual and I like telling my story to students and early professionals so they can hear about an example of a career path that they potentially have not heard before.

What’s the most rewarding part of staying connected with your alma mater?

My favorite part of staying connected to the University is that I learn so much from the interactions I have. I have mentored students with many different backgrounds, interests, and goals. By working with them, I have learned about different parts of the world, areas of research I had never considered before, and activities they love that I have never tried. It feels amazing when I have been able to contribute a little bit to supporting someone as they work towards achieving their goals.

What are you looking forward to next?

I am currently a 7th grade science teacher. I love working with the students, and hopefully I am providing them with learning experiences that spark an interest in science, teach them how to think analytically, and provide them with an understanding of some fundamental scientific principles. I am not ready to move on to something new yet, but I have been mulling over how I can best contribute to how science is portrayed in pop culture. I think that, for better or worse, many people acquire their understanding of scientific concepts from what they see in pop culture. And sometimes, because of how scientific information is communicated, that understanding can subsequently be incorrect or incomplete. I would like to be part of producing content that is entertaining and scientifically accurate. I love zombie movies, and it is possible to discuss the science of a zombie outbreak without completely abandoning basic scientific principles!

What advice do you have for others looking to get involved?

There are various opportunities to get involved, and they differ in how much time and energy you need to commit to them. Ask questions about what is expected and be realistic about how much you can really commit to. Short or infrequent high-quality interactions will likely be more meaningful than unfocused interactions that you are not fully invested in.

In the 10+ years I have been involved with University activities and programs, some experiences were not the best fit but I have had many more rewarding experiences. Don’t get discouraged from staying involved!