Unexpected opportunities and new beginnings

Meet new Rochester Network Leadership co-chair Caitlin Maystrovsky ’12

Caitlin Maystrovsky ’12Tell us about your time as a student.

Some of my fondest memories are working as an editor for the Campus Times and staying up late on production nights trying to get the newspaper out to the publisher on time. Those nights ended up being some of the best and also challenging moments of the week. I also sang in Gospel Choir, studied abroad in Spain, worked at the Art/Music library, spent time with friends playing Mario Kart in the dorm, and explored different areas of campus.

How did your experience at the University of Rochester influence your life?

Rochester encouraged me to explore new opportunities and gave me the flexibility to design my own path. I’ve taken this forward into my post-graduate life. I work today as a manager at a software engineering company, even though I studied international relations and Spanish, due to being flexible and open to unexpected opportunities. I also met my husband at Rochester — another unexpected opportunity!

What inspired you to get involved and volunteer?

I remained in the Rochester area after college. While I was in the same city, the University campus where I had spent so much time felt very far away. Volunteering re-connected me and has also given me an outlet to give back to a community that I’m passionate about and help other alumni re-engage with the University through attending events, volunteering, or coming back to campus for reunions. My favorite roles as a volunteer (so far) have been as a member of the Young Alumni Council (YAC) and serving on the steering committee for the Volunteers in Partnership (VIP) Leadership Conference. The YAC focuses on planning events for recently graduated students and those events are usually the first opportunities that new alumni have post-graduation to connect with the University, the wider alumni network, and even the Rochester-area in new ways. The VIP Leadership Conference brings together fellow Rochester volunteers on campus to partner with the University and learn from fellow volunteers. It’s inspiring to hear about what other alumni are doing and the paths they’ve taken after graduation.

What’s the most rewarding part of staying connected with your alma mater?

The people! Being connected as a volunteer has allowed me to expand my network and meet fellow alumni in the Rochester area who I wouldn’t have met otherwise. I’ve also really enjoyed moments where I’ve been able to connect with current students, especially through a professional development and writing class offered at the University that connects students with alumni volunteers.

What are you looking forward to next?

I’m looking forward to growing into new roles as both a volunteer and in my personal life. I’ve spent most of my time as a volunteer on the Young Alumni Council and recently transitioned to full-time membership on the Rochester Network Leadership Council. I’m excited to serve as co-chair for the Network Leadership Council at a time when we are expanding and thinking of new and creative ways to engage all alumni in the Rochester area. In my personal life, I’m looking forward to becoming a first-time mom! Naturally, I’m due on Meliora Weekend.

What advice do you have for others looking to get involved?

There are SO many ways to get involved, with new opportunities being created all the time. Whether you have 1 or 100 hours of time to give, there is a spot for you to help connect with prospective students, current students, or fellow alumni. If you’re interested, just ask! Even if you’re not sure what you would like to do, the Office of Alumni Relations is a great support system for volunteers and can help place you based on your availability and interest area.