Mastering business and managing medicine

Meet Strong and Simon community member Farrell Cooke ’14, ’19N

Photo of Farrell Cooke ’14, ’19NShare a bit about yourself! What are you up to now?

Since graduating in 2014, I decided one bachelor’s degree from the University of Rochester was not enough. I came back to Rochester from NYC in 2018 to go to the University of Rochester School of Nursing.  Currently, I am an assistant nurse manager in the surgical ICU at Strong Memorial Hospital and am also a part-time student at Simon Business School, finishing my MBA this May!

While much of my time is spent at the medical center or on the River Campus – I live in Fairport with my fiancé, Tyler (also a University alumnus), with our dog, Eastman.

What are your most cherished memories from the University of Rochester?

Too many to count! The original Danforth and getting late-night paninis in Sue B are some of the most notable, but there are even more memories that are still relived when all our alumni friends get together.

From memories with the swim team, waking up for practice, trudging through the snow to get to Goergen (where we were once asked to bring a shovel with us to classes after a snowstorm), or the Sunday morning pancake breakfasts on the DG floor.

Of all these memories, what I am most grateful for are the relationships I’ve made during my years at the University of Rochester because I still get to create new memories all the time with the friends I’ve made.

How did campus life and any co-curricular involvement (clubs, organizations, teams, etc.) impact your personal and professional growth?

The involvement I had within athletics, various organizations, and my academic major were all huge reasons as to why I am who I am today. I owe so much of my personal and professional growth to the people who supported me through my time on campus.

What was most impactful has to be my four years on the swim team. Being a part of a team where your performance affects the larger group motivates you to aim higher and work harder – in the pool and the classroom. I learned to balance my practice schedule with an academic workload and how to make that work. You learn to surround yourself with people who encourage you, and my teammates and coaches were some of the best support systems I could have.

How did your experience at the University of Rochester influence your life?

My time at the University of Rochester helped me come into my own as a friend, teammate, co-worker, and all around become the best version of myself.  To this day, my closest friends are the people that I have met while at school or while volunteering for the University.

Each aspect of my academic career has also led me to new educational experiences – from undergraduate degree to nursing school then business school. Every step of the way, I have gained not only more knowledge, but also increased my networking, critical thinking, and became aware of opportunities that I would not have known about otherwise. I can’t thank my mentors, coaches, and friends enough for the countless hours they spent helping me achieve my goals.

What sparked your initial interest in volunteering with the University? What role(s) have you held?

After graduating, I knew the University hosted events in New York City. I really enjoy getting to meet new people, especially when there are so many common areas of interest. I can’t remember my initial reasoning for getting involved but after almost 10 years of being a volunteer within the University, I am so happy that I chose to get involved! I have been a member of the Young Alumni Council (YAC) in two cities, a regional point of contact for NYC, and have also been the national co-chair for the YAC which allowed me an opportunity to be a member of the Alumni Board. I have also been able to volunteer with Simon being a member of the Part Time Advisory Council!

What advice do you have for fellow alumni and friends who may be interested in taking a more active role in our alumni and friends’ community?

It’s an amazing opportunity to do something a little different. What you get out of volunteering or participating is so much more than you think it could be. I have made so many friendships, created memories, and taken part in experiences that I would not have had otherwise. I think in a world post-Covid, looking for shared experiences and opportunities to socialize are more common. Becoming an active participant within the University community, I think would satisfy that need for a lot of people!

What’s the most rewarding part of staying connected with your alma mater?

I have created so many friendships volunteering with the University and participating in events that I would not have otherwise. I think as an undergraduate student, you do not always get to see the scope of impact that the University can have not only for you but for the community.  Being able to see all aspects of how the University seeks to engage opportunities for prospective, current, and past students is really rewarding.  When speaking to students, I get to share these insights and also help them understand the value that they can get from this institution.

—Amelia Sykes, Spring 2024