Utilizing University resources to connect and grow

Meet D.C. Women’s Network member and cybersecurity consultant Grace Czechowski Llojaj ’13

Photo of Grace Czechowski Llojaj ’13Share a bit about yourself! What are you up to now?

I currently live in Washington, D.C. with my husband, fellow alumnus Gert Llojaj ’09, and we are expecting our first child in February, 2024. I work in the cybersecurity field as a consultant helping companies scale by providing services focused on growth, workforce planning, and talent solutions. Outside of work, I volunteer as co-chair of the D.C. Women’s Network, with Alpha Phi International Fraternity, and with Junior League of Washington.

What are your most cherished memories from the University of Rochester?

The best memories of my time at the University were spent with my Alpha Phi sisters! Whether it was getting ready for a night out or just hanging out on the Alpha Phi floor, I absolutely cherish those times.

How did campus life and any co-curricular involvement (clubs, organizations, teams, etc.) impact your personal and professional growth?

Leadership opportunities that were provided to me during my time at the University allowed me to practice skills in a supportive environment that I use in my job to this day. As a leader across Ballet Performance Group, Club Cheerleading, Panhellenic, and Alpha Phi, I was able to learn to lead teams, delegate, plan events, make fundraising asks, and hone my time management skills. These continue to be valuable in my professional career and other volunteer roles.

Did the University offer any resources or initiatives that helped you transition smoothly into the workforce?

The Career Center’s résumé and cover letter templates were by far the most used resources that helped me as I made the transition from undergraduate to the working world. Since graduation, the network the University provides, whether formally through the Meliora Collective and events or just by having a common history with people in my field, has been invaluable.

How did your experience at the University of Rochester influence your life?

My time at Rochester was a pivotal period where my independence grew and I really leaned into pursuing opportunities that align with my values.

What sparked your initial interest in volunteering with the University? What role(s) have you held?

I have tried to stay involved in some capacity since graduation whether that was volunteering with Alpha Phi or interviewing prospective students. Since then, my role has evolved to help lead the D.C. region of the Women’s Network. I have also served as an industry leader at events put on with the Career Center and contributed to the Meliora Collective. My role as a volunteer may have shifted throughout the years but the desire to stay connected to the Yellowjacket community has always been there, so I make donating my time to volunteering with the University a priority year after year.

What advice do you have for fellow alumni and friends who may be interested in taking a more active role in our alumni and friends’ community?

Since graduation, I knew I wanted to give back and sometimes you feel like if you aren’t having a building named after you, then you really aren’t making an impact – that is just not true! Start by doing something small like volunteering to reach out to accepted students or showing up to events planned by your local alumni group. The University community is strongest when we all participate and give back, and like most things in life you will get out of it what you put into it, so just go for it and get involved!

What’s the most rewarding part of staying connected with your alma mater?

Staying connected to the Yellowjacket community has allowed the connections I made during my time on campus to continue to grow and develop, which was on full display this past Meliora Weekend at my 10-year reunion when there were so many people that I got to see, and it was like no time had passed at all! It has also permitted me to make connections in my field and with alumni whom I didn’t overlap within the school but share this common thread with. In volunteering with current and prospective students, I get the opportunity to help usher in the next generation as well, so it feels full circle.

—Amelia Sykes, Spring 2024