# Genesee Staff Council

## Meeting Agenda: December 9, 2022

### Location: Douglass 200 – Feldman Ballroom Section C

#### $9{:}00-9{:}45$ AM – Welcome and Announcements/Housekeeping

- Approval of Meeting Minutes November
- Co-chair Updates
- Annual Report
- Bylaws Review
- FY24 Budget

9:45 – 9:50 AM – Ethical Investment Advisory Committee (EIAC) Update: Molly Snyder

9:50 - 10:05 AM - Break

 $10{\stackrel{{\scriptstyle\circ}}{\scriptstyle\circ}}05-11{\stackrel{{\scriptstyle\circ}}{\scriptstyle\circ}}00$  AM – CPM Update with Leah Stormo-Soles and Dan Salamone

- Job validation
- Transparency

11:00 - 11:30 AM – Discussion with President Mangelsdorf and VP/CHRO Gallucci

11:30AM-12:00PM - Reception with President Mangelsdorf and VP/CHRO Gallucci

Next Meeting: Friday, January 6, 2023 9:00AM – 12:00PM via Zoom

*Attendees:* Co-Chair Jon Powers, Co-Chair Amanda Sharpe, Melinda Adelman, Brandi Bangle, Kristi Brock, Jane Bryant, Angela Buchiere, Anthony Campbell, Karen Cera, Kris Condello, Diane Crane, Jennifer Hamson, Kaitlin Legg, Heidi Mergenthaler, Darrin Meszler, Harish Nayak, Michael Occhino, Brenda Pitoni, Tacarah Reyes, Marc Seigfred, Sarah Siddiqui, Ashley Smith, Molly Snyder, Dan Watts, Christopher Widmer, Joe Williams, Paul Wlosinki

#### Welcome/Announcements/Business

Amanda Sharpe: Welcome to our December in-person meeting. We will start with a reminder of our group norms (group norms slide shown). We will make a point to start every meeting with a reminder of these norms. Please note that we are recording this meeting on Zoom.

*Harish Nayak:* Minutes from the November meeting were posted last Friday in Teams. There was a motion for approval, the motion was seconded, and the minutes have been approved for posting.

*Amanda Sharpe:* Provost David Figlio joined us at our October meeting and walked us through the five main goals of the University's Strategic Plan. He wanted input on how staff could be involved in the implementation of the Strategic Plan. We had a small working group meet a couple of times, and Amanda and Jon will take the notes from those meetings and put the ideas into a proposal by next week to provide to the Provost.

*Jon Powers:* We have been referring to the "Med Center Expansion," and going forward will now refer to it as the SMD/SON (School of Medicine & Dentistry/School of Nursing) Expansion to make it clearer who is included. We will present further updates at the January meeting.

*Amanda Sharpe:* The University is preparing for re-accreditation through the Middle States Commission accrediting body. There have been several working groups put together, and GSC has been involved in these working groups. There will be a section on staff governance this time around.

*Amanda Sharpe:* The GSC reception at the Provost's house will be January 31 (Molly's birthday). Please be sure to RSVP to his office by December 21.

Jon Powers: The three project committees have been invited to meet with Executive Committee to check-in and get feedback. The Communications Committee also met with the Co-Chairs to talk about the Annual Report. Last year, it was sent out in February, so we're hoping to keep that same time line. All committees, please start thinking about a list of accomplishments and future plans for the report. We'll talk more about this in January.

*Amanda Sharpe:* Terra is currently the GSC Parliamentarian, and per the Bylaws, we need to vote to approve her re-appointment to the position. We think she has done a fantastic job being caring, considerate, impartial, fair, keeping us in line with the rules and procedures of the Council, and taking a lead role in the annual elections process.

There was a motion to approve Terra continuing as Parliamentarian. Terra was unanimously approved for another 2-year term.

We will need to do this again for the position of Secretary in the new year, as per the Bylaws.

*Jon Powers:* For FY23, we still have a fair amount of funds left in our budget. Looking ahead to the spring, we've started some discussions about engagement activities to make GSC more visible. Outreach and Engagement Committee will likely spearhead the planning of these engagement events.

#### **Proposed Bylaws Changes**

Marc Seigfred presented the proposed GSC Bylaws Changes, as recommended by the Bylaws Committee. The slides with the proposed changes were posted in Teams. At the January GSC meeting, we will vote on the approval of these proposed changes.

*Question:* Are Executive Committee meetings closed or could someone request to attend?

*Amanda Sharpe:* They are not necessarily closed. We do take notes. If someone has interest in attending or seeing the notes, please write to the Co-Chairs.

*Dan Watts:* Is there any reason to define more clearly what we mean by Human Resources in the last proposed bylaws change? (*Referring to the proposed change that HR and the Executive Committee will review eligibility of potential Council members to run for election 5 years after removal from GSC)* 

*Terra Buttram:* It would stand to reason it would be the HR person/people who are affiliated with the Council anyway (so ex officio HR members). It might be worth including something like that.

*Marc Seigfred*: There was a recommendation that we clarify the language for this one to: "After five years, Executive Committee will consult with Human Resources to review eligibility."

#### Ethical Investment Advisory Committee (EIAC) Update

*Molly Snyder:* The EIAC includes two representatives from Faculty Senate, a graduate student, an undergraduate student, a financial advisor, and Molly to represent the staff. This committee analyzes investments, and makes suggestions to the university re: what they should invest in. There are currently no fossil fuel investments, and no direct investments into private prisons. Currently, we're working on gun manufacturers. We already don't invest in any publicly traded gun manufacturers. Now we're looking at bullet manufacturers. We are also looking at animal agriculture (factory farming), which is one of the greatest sources of pollution, greenhouse gas emissions, and deforestation. The committee has asked us to go back to our districts and get ideas for suggestions of what to invest into. A poll will be put in Teams to gather responses.

*Question:* Are we also looking at not investing with certain investment partners that do invest in these areas (fossil fuels, etc.)?

Molly Snyder: No, but I will make that suggestion to the group.

*Question:* There's no direct investment, but what about indirect investment? *Molly Snyder:* That's kind of hard to tackle, especially with representation of Russia. They can only go so far, but they do look at their portfolio to at least make sure there's no direct investment.

#### Career Path Modernization (CPM) Update (Leah Stormo-Soles and Dan Salamone)

*Dan Salamone:* We want to use this opportunity to introduce you all to the first draft of the appeals process, and get your input on that. Our job structure at the university is over 40 years old now. We have reached a point where we've gone through the different stakeholder groups, and we've gotten approval to start publishing and moving forward with the compensation philosophy. Today, pay grade and job level are one and the same. This new structure will be breaking these pieces up. Currently, two jobs with very different markets can have the same pay range, which makes it difficult to align with current market rates. We have support from university leadership to move forward with transparent pay grades and pay ranges.

*Leah Stormo-Soles:* Job Classification Validation Process—we have about 6500 people and their supervisors going through this process now in MyPath. As we move through CPM, we want to make sure we really understand the work that people are doing. In Spring/Summer 2023 we will be conducting compensation review, and comparing the information provided to similar jobs. New job classifications will be created where needed.

*Dan Salamone:* We're looking at these job classification forms as they come in. From the perspective of this group, is it better to hold the job classifications, or to cascade them and roll

them out as we have them ready?

*Harish Nayak*: Are you looking at a distinction of those staff that will see a significant change, and those that will not?

*Dan Salamone*: As we start to go through these, we'll have a better sense of how big a shift this will be. It's tricky because we're trying to make proactive plans, but our plans may have to shift depending on the results of this stage.

*Jon Powers:* About the notification process, how will it work when people get new job classifications?

*Dan Salamone:* I see it more as a conversation between the leader and the staff member. That way, if there's an issue, the manager can refer to the appeals process.

*Amanda Sharpe:* We have had some concern that the process might be delayed by a second supervisor review. Maybe the job classification could be sent to both the manager and the employee at the same time to avoid the chance of delays with some managers.

*Comment:* Getting a heads up before these come out will be really important for managers.

*Comment:* I believe there were some assurances that kicked this process off. The communications should continue to include these assurances to avoid anxiousness among staff.

Dan Salamone: Appeals process—we needed a thorough, objective, and transparent way for employers and leaders who believe there's a job validation misalignment to appeal the classification. We need to make sure to have the opportunity to review the person rather than the job. The appeal submission would be through a formal form or other process of some kind. Then it would be reviewed by a senior comp analyst that was not the same person who did the initial review. They would then make a recommendation to a review committee (made up of a mix of all different groups throughout the university), that will then review and make their recommendation to comp leadership.

*Jon Powers:* As far as appeals, what kind of data will be available for people to see to understand their job grade?

*Dan Salamone:* We will be putting the job profiles out there for people to interact with, and understand for example what's the difference between an Analyst 1 and an Analyst 2? They'll be able to see how the structure is set up.

*Jane Bryant:* When the compensation review ends, will compensation change as part of the job validation process? Will people see a change in summer 2023?

*Kaitlin Legg:* I would recommend that the communications around CPM focus on encouraging departments to not wait for CPM to be done to start focusing on equity and retention.

*Kathy Gallucci:* There is work being done now, we are looking at equity on an ongoing basis. We do need to make sure that leaders know not to wait for CPM to be complete before addressing compensation concerns and equity reviews. The publishing of the ranges and getting it out for everyone to see will happen more consistently with the project timeline. But we're not holding off on equity reviews, we've done hundreds already. We're focused employee retention.

#### Discussion with President Mangelsdorf and VP/CHRO Gallucci

*Amanda Sharpe:* We are thrilled to have President Mangelsdorf and VP/CHRO Gallucci with us today. We will have 20-25 minutes for discussion, followed by a reception for more informal socialization and discussion. To start the discussion, we would like to discuss the strategy for filling some of these senior leadership positions that are coming open.

*Sarah Mangelsdorf*. We're working with a few search firms that specialize in Arts leadership for the MAG leadership position. The Arts & Sciences Dean search has been launched.

*Amanda Sharpe:* Is there staff representation involved in the AS&E search? It seems that there's an overwhelming number of faculty members, and only one staff representative.

Sarah Mangelsdorf. We'll look into this issue, and will also follow up with David Figlio. (Note: Due to GSC feedback, the AS&E search committee was expanded to include an additional staff member following this meeting.)

*Kathy Gallucci*<sup>:</sup> The search committees for the various leadership positions look at the initial pool of candidates and narrow down the finalists for the university committee to interview. The final decision rests with the person who that position will report to. The IOEI CDO position and the VP Communications position are two other big leadership searches coming up.

*Amanda Sharpe:* Can you speak a little bit about any new staff initiatives, such as the career pathways program just announced in @Rochester?

*Kathy Gallucci:* The career pathways program is just getting started. The program is about making sure we have clear pathways for advancement across the university. This program will define over time what competencies and skills might translate to other positions at the university. We're starting with some of our high-needs/high-vacancy positions, and will eventually expand it to all university employees. The CPM project will help advance the career pathways program.

*Jenny Hamson:* Is there any plan to expand Tier 1 medical benefits to employees living in other states?

*Kathy Gallucci*: We have a policy coming out soon about out-of-state work, and the benefits team is working on this question right now.

Question: What is the status of the Margolis-Healy report?

*Sarah Mangelsdorf*. We're still waiting for the completed Margolis-Healy report, hopefully early next year it will be shared community-wide.

Sarah Siddiqui: If there were a university-wide remote work policy, that would help with hiring.

*Kathy Gallucci* : We do have a university-wide policy, but the challenge is that we cannot tell what's required for every single position. Sometimes, there's a disconnect between what the leadership and the employees feel can be remote. HR is more than willing to facilitate conversations around those questions. Reach out to your HR-business partners. We support remote work where feasible, but we need to maintain a sense of University community for our students.

Sarah Mangelsdorf: This has been an ongoing topic for senior leadership. There are some positions (ex. public safety, dining services) who cannot work remotely at all due to the nature of their jobs. So we decided that managers had discretion, depending on the kinds of work that employees do. At

times that might feel inequitable, but there's no overarching policy that can apply to all employees.

*Melinda Adelman:* Are there any upcoming projects/initiatives to improve accessibility on campus for people with disabilities? Have you ever had a candidate come to campus and decline a position due to accessibility issues?

Sarah Mangelsdorf: I've had this conversation with the head of facilities after Meliora weekend. Many of our interviews have gone to Zoom, only the finalists come to campus. As far as I'm aware, we have not had a candidate come to campus and decline a position due to accessibility issues. Accessibility is a problem at every campus I've worked on due to older buildings. We're retro-fitting the older buildings, and we're setting a process to figure out which buildings to address first. The head of facilities has been asked to do an assessment to determine highest priority accessibility issues. Certainly, all new buildings are built with accessibility in mind.

The meeting was concluded, and all present were invited to a meeting reception.