Office of Human Resources
Staff Community Service Award
The nomination period is now closed. Watch for the announcement of award recipients coming in April!
Nominations Due: February 6, 2019
This award was established by President Joel Seligman in December 2007 to honor a University non-management staff member “whose career best exemplifies service to the University of Rochester or the Greater Rochester community” and that occurred in a capacity outside of their usual assignment.
The first award was presented posthumously to Latasha E. Shaw, a 15-year University employee and an active member of the Service Employees International Union, whose life and service inspired its creation.
The Staff Community Service Award (SCSA) is awarded annually to a non-management staff person in recognition of their outstanding volunteer contributions to the University of Rochester community (in a capacity other than their usual assignment/department) or another non-profit organization in the greater Rochester community.
Nominations are accepted to recognize achievement of a singular outstanding event or the continuous outstanding and dedicated service the individual has provided over a long period of time.
All active full- and part-time University of Rochester staff, other than supervisory and management personnel, with a minimum of one year of service may be nominated. Nominations may recognize:
- Long-serving high achievement for a local not-for-profit community organization, neighborhood group or association, or the University community.
- A record of significant and sustained community service such as volunteering with charitable, nonprofit organizations, or within the University community.
- A nominee who has demonstrated any of the following:
- “Leading the charge” in order to initiate a community project or University initiative outside of their usual assignment.
- Serving as an inspiration to others through his or her persistent excellence either at the University (in a capacity other than their usual assignment) or in the general community.
- Providing assistance to a local nonprofit community or University project that had a positive impact on individuals.
- In December of each year, the Associate Vice President for Human Resources and Chief Human Resources Officer issues a call to the UR Community for nominations.
- The SCSA Selection Committee will select one honoree annually based on the criteria noted.
A cash award of $2,500 will be shared by the recipient ($1,500) and the not-for-profit organization ($1,000) that the recipient has volunteered with to provide the service. In addition, the University will waive the cost of their employee parking permit for one year.
The recipient's name will be inscribed on recognition boards placed in prominent locations at the Medical Center and in Wallis Hall, in addition to receiving a certificate and being honored by the Board of Trustees. The awardee will also be featured in University publications and invited to attend a reception in his or her honor.
Nominations may be submitted or supported by current University of Rochester faculty, staff, students, teams, or groups with the exception of members of the Staff Community Service Award Awards Selection Committee.
The award recipient will be selected by the Staff Community Service Award Selection Committee
For each nominee, submit by February 6, 2019:
- A separate nomination form.
- A nominating statement of no more than three pages explaining how the nominee satisfies the award criteria. Please be specific, providing concrete examples.
- A letter of support (no more than one page) from a representative of the organization that has been directly affected by this nominee’s service.
- Relevant supporting documentation may be included but is not required.
Completed nomination packets must be submitted to:
Staff Community Service Award Selection Committee
c/o Associate Vice President for Human Resources / CHRO
E-mail: Staff Community Service Award Nominations (on global)
Intramural Mail: Box 278949
- River Campus: 263 Wallis Hall (HR-AVP / CHRO Office)
- Medical Center: Room 1-6039 (Medical Center HR Office)
- Office of Total Rewards: 60 Corporate Woods, Suite 310
- Brooks Landing: 910 Genesee St, Suite 100 (HR Service Center)