Compass To Personal Success (CPS)
About Compass To Personal Success
Compass To Personal Success (CPS) is a Leadership Development program that places emphasis on enhancing the leadership learning and personal development of undergraduate students through community-based experiential activities. Rooted in the Social Change Model of Leadership, CPS strives to develop undergraduate students as Agents of positive Social Change, engaging them in activities, which focus on enhancing their leadership skills and capabilities. The Social Change Model of Leadership (SCML) consists of three components: the Individual, Group, and Community/Society. SCML suggests that a leader is "one who is able to effect positive change for the betterment of others, the community, and society" (Astin & Astin, 1996). Emphasis is placed on the following principles:
All students are Potential Leaders - not just those who hold formal leadership positions
Service is a powerful vehicle for developing students' leadership skills and capabilities
Leadership is concerned with effecting positive change on behalf of others and society
Leadership is a Process not a Position - it should be Value-Driven and is Collaborative in nature
Mission & Goals
CPS strives to heighten student's awareness of their passion and purpose, as well as, develop their understanding of leadership within the context of the Social Change Model of Leadership. The program cultivates student's leadership competencies and increase their leadership knowledge and self-awareness by engaging them in Community Service, Leadership, and Civic Engagement opportunities, thereby enhancing their leadership capabilities. CPS works to enhance:
- The capacity of students capable of taking leadership roles in all professions and sectors of society
- Students' ability to practice learned leadership capabilities within a group, thereby creating a stronger connection to their community
Students have the option to complete CPS in a three-year OR in an accelerated two-year schedule. Accepted students will join a cohort and work through portions of the program together. See the Brochure for more details.
Students who actively participate in CPS:
- Gain Valuable Resume Building Experience
- Gain Awareness of their Purpose and Passion
- Increase their level of Self-Efficacy and Leadership Competence
- Reflect and Celebrate their Impact within the campus and surrounding Rochester City communities
- Form Meaning and Lasting Partnerships within the campus and surrounding Rochester City communities
- Gain A Peer Leadership Coach and exposure to experiential community-based leadership opportunities within the campus and surrounding Rochester City communities
To be considered for Compass To Personal Success, students must:
Be currently enrolled as a College undergraduate at the University of Rochester in good academic and disciplinary standing.
Have a willingness to be actively involved on campus - Be actively involved in campus organizations, community service, and/or employment - OR - Previously involved at the high school level.
Students interested in applying for the Compass to Personal Success program should plan to attend an informational meeting, Tuesday, September 11th, 6:00-7:00 pm in Wilson Commons Gowen Room. Students who meet the qualifications are encouraged to apply to CPS for the 2012-2013 academic year by submitting their application via email or in person by September 21st, 2012 (late applicants will not be eligible for selection)
Questions about the Compass To Personal Success Program should be directed to Molly Sarubbi, Graduate Assistant for Leadership Programs.