Slingshot To Success
STS places emphasis on the benefits of getting involved in the River Campus community during freshman year, while stressing the importance of living a balanced campus lifestyle.
Students engage in open discussions and workshops with upperclassmen. Open discussions are facilitated as a two-way interactive conversation, which present freshman with an opportunity to share their thoughts, concerns, and questions with upperclassmen, who in turn address these areas by sharing their personal experiences.
Objectives & Benefits
STS provides freshmen with the knowledge and motivation needed to be successful during their first year at the University of Rochester. Students attending STS have an opportunity to:
- Network with their peers
- Gain knowledge of leadership and interpersonal development
- Gain knowledge of how to join OR develop and implement a campus club or organization
- Learn how to utilize available campus resources that will help them succeed both in and out of the classroom
- Gain strategies and methods needed for balancing commitments/responsibilities and excelling at college life
- Gain a Peer Mentor (an upperclassman) who will act as a source of support and guidance during their freshman year
Discussions focus on:
- The benefits of student involvement
- Available campus resources
- Shared experiences of upperclassmen—specifically, how their leadership roles and initiatives have helped shape their college experience and self-growth
The workshops provide freshman students with the techniques and skills needed to balance their academics, co-curricular activities, and personal growth. These sessions feature interactive activities that foster students' critical thinking abilities.
Workshop topics include:
- Goal Setting
- Time Management
- Staying Committed
- Exiting Your Comfort Zone
- Being A Good Member
- Non-Positional Leadership
What Participants Say About Slingshot
- "This workshop helped because I never thought of writing out my plan for the day in detail."
- "I got to make friends with similar interests and made connections with upperclassmen; I was inspired!"
- "Leaders did a great job connecting with the foreign students in our group and making an open environment for discussions."
For more information about Slingshot To Success, please contact Melissa Rusnica, Graduate Assistant for Involvement at the Rochester Center for Community Leadership.