Undergraduate Research Funding
University of Rochester Anthropology Undergraduate Research Grant
The Department of Anthropology is pleased to announce the Undergraduate Research Grant, made possible by a generous gift from Dr. Louis Samuels, an alumnus of the department, and Dr. Fania Leiderman-Samuels in memory of Simon Leiderman.
The grant is intended to promote original undergraduate research in anthropology, and will provide up to $1,000 per year for projects conducted by anthropology majors. The grant money may be used to cover travel, living expenses, gifts, equipment, and other research-related expenses.
- The award is limited to rising juniors and seniors.
- Applicants must be officially declared anthropology majors and have completed at least half of their course work towards the major, including ANT 201.
- Applicants should have the support of a faculty member in the Anthropology department.
- Grantees will present their research project and findings in the spring semester following the grant.
- A detailed proposal that clearly outlines the significance of the project to anthropological concerns; the project methodology (including issues related to human subjects research; see www.urmc.rochester.edu/rsrb/); and a timeline.
- A detailed budget that itemizes the anticipated expenses.
- A list of anthropology coursework completed, including final grades earned.
- A letter of support from a faculty member in the Anthropology department.
- This award may be combined with other fellowships or scholarships, and applicants are encouraged to explore other funding opportunities.
- The research may be conducted during the summer months or during the school year, but may not be used to cover expenses related to study abroad.
- Students may be awarded money for only part of the total budget request, at the discretion of the selection committee.
Applications are due annually by March 15 to:
Professor John Osburg
Department of Anthropology
Lattimore Hall 434
For electronic submissions, please send all materials, excluding the letter of support, in one MS Word document with the applicant's name in the file name. For a list of previously funded projects, please refer to Honors Theses and Independent Research.
Travel Research Fund
The Anthropology Department has a small fund available to support student travel for research and conferences. Students who are interested in applying for funding to present original research should submit an application by email or hard copy to John Osburg at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Application deadlines are September 30 for travel during the Fall semester and March 1 for travel during the Spring and Summer. Students must seek the advice of faculty in the Anthropology Department as early in the application process as possible, certainly before the paper abstract is submitted.
Applications must include the following:
- An abstract of the paper that you will be presenting.
- A letter of acceptance from the conference directors.
- A letter of support from a faculty member in the anthropology department.
- An estimated budget including travel, food, lodging, and conference registration fees.
In most cases, the department will not be able to cover the full cost of conference attendance. Interested students must seek funding from other sources, including the University's Office of Undergraduate Research and Mentoring.
Before you apply for funding, you should carefully read the FAQs on Undergraduate Research at the University of Rochester.