Group Fitness Classes
The Department of Athletics and Recreation sponsors group fitness classes every semester through the Intramural Sports Program. We offer a variety of aerobic and conditioning classes.
The classes are free for all full-time matriculated students. R-Club members are also eligible participants as a part of the R Club Membership Fee.
All classes are held in the Leibner Room, formally known as the multi-activity center (MAC), which is located within the Goergen Athletic Center. Classes will be offered through the academic year except during University Holidays.
Please wear appropriate and comfortable attire. If you attend a yoga class, you are encouraged to bring your own mat. (a limited number may be available to use)
Group Fitness Schedule of Classes
Classes run 8/31/16 to 12/13/16
(No classes 9/5, 10/17, 10/18, 11/23, 11/24, 11/27)
|Sunday||9/4-12/11||5:30 pm - 6:30 pm||Abs of Steel||Erika|
|Sunday||9/4-12/11||6:30 pm - 7:30 pm||Pilates||Ainsley|
|Monday||9/12-12/12||5:30 pm - 6:30 pm||Zumba||Margaret|
|Monday||9/12-12/12||6:30 pm - 7:30 pm||Zumba||Rebecca|
|Tuesday||9/6-12/13||5:30 pm - 6:30 pm||Zumba||Margaret|
|Tuesday||9/6-12/13||6:30 pm - 7:30 pm||Pilates||Ainsley|
|Wednesday||8/31-12/7||6:00 pm - 7:30 pm||Iyengar Yoga||Colleen|
|Thursday||9/1-12/8||5:30 pm - 6:30 pm||Abs of Steel||Erika|
|Thursday||9/8-12/8||6:30 pm - 7:30 pm||Pilates||Ainsley|
Group Fitness Schedule of Classes
|Sunday||5:30 pm - 6:30 pm|
|Sunday||6:30 pm - 7:30 pm|
|Monday||5:30 pm - 6:30 pm|
|Monday||6:30 pm- 7:30 pm|
|Tuesday||5:30 pm - 6:30 pm|
|Tuesday||6:30 pm - 7:30 pm|
|Wednesday||6:00 pm - 7:30 pm|
|Thursday||5:30 pm - 6:30 pm|
|Thursday||6:30 pm - 7:30 pm|
- Kickboxing - This kickboxing class is a non-equipment based class. This class is a combination of cardio and strength with focus on full-body toning. We will be doing mostly basic punches and kicks in kickboxing as well as pilates and yoga. This class is designed for every fitness level. Burn up to 450 calories to some great music. All you need to bring for class is comfortable gym shoes and a water bottle!
- Abs of Steel – This class combines Pilates and traditional workout moves for high intensity strength and endurance building. The focus will be on core, but total body will be involved. Moves will target upper and lower ab-dominals, obliques, and hip flexors. A strong core not only looks im-pressive, but helps relieve back pain, improves posture, and decreases chance of injury!
- Zumba - Zumba is a fun dance fitness phenomenon enjoyed by men and women of all ages. You will love the combination of dance and exercise together. Zumba is all about great music and easy to follow moves. And although the program is based on international rhythms, especially Latin, all kinds of music is incorporated. No dance experience needed. We just move and have FUN! Ditch the workout and join the party!
- Iyengar yoga - This class will focus on muscular-skeletal alignment in each of the postures. We will practice arm balances, standing and supine postures as well as inversions. We will devote about 20 minutes of each class to pranayama (breath control) and meditation. This class is formatted for the beginner as well as intermediate student.
- Pilates is a mind-body exercise program that helps develop core body strength, flexibility, muscular endurance, balance, and good posture – all keys to a healthy body. This program is proven effective for all fit-ness levels regardless of age, weight or ability. Because of the focused attention spent on developing muscle efficiency and body awareness through research-based exercises, you will leave Pilates class with a healthier back and calmer mind than when you arrived. Grab a yoga mat and come on over for a toned body and energized outlook!