Part-time Student Status

A student who changes their status from full-time to part-time should discuss their plans with an advisor in the College Center for Advising Services and complete the Change of Status form prior to the beginning of classes.

A student who changes their status from full time to part-time during the add/drop period (first four weeks of the semester) will receive an adjustment of tuition and other charges as noted on the tuition refund schedule for part-time matriculated undergraduates. Students are not permitted to change their status from full time to part-time after the add/drop period has ended.

*Seniors who plan to register for a part-time course load in their last semester should see the part-time student status (seniors) page.

Financial Aid

Students are strongly advised to check with the Financial Aid Office before changing their status from full-time to part time to see how their aid, if any, will be affected. Priority for Rochester-administered aid is given to full-time students. Students with loans need to be registered for at least six credits in order to defer payment of loans.


Normally, on-campus housing is not available to part-time students.

Health Fee and Coverage

Unless part-time students receive permission to live in the residence halls, in which case participation in the University’s health plan is mandatory, no health fee is charged by the University of Rochester.

Health care coverage under the University-sponsored Aetna Student Health insurance plan terminates on the first of the month following the effective date noted on the Change of Status form. Aetna Student Health will send a notice of cancellation along with a bill to keep the insurance coverage effective on a direct basis. 

Part-time students are advised to contact a University Health Services (UHS) insurance advisor by emailing  when changing from full time to part time status.

Academic Requirements

All normal academic regulations apply to part-time students. For instance, they are expected to declare their concentrations during the semester in which they will have earned 64 credit hours. Part-time students wishing to declare a leave of absence pay the $80 fee. Part-time students can register during the usual registration period.


The classification "MT" is given to part-time students who have accumulated fewer than 96 credit hours and "CA" for students who have earned 96 or more credit hours. Students classified as "MT" will register for courses with the junior class and students classified as "CA" will register for courses with the senior class. 

Students with "CA" status should be changed to the appropriate numeric classification (e.g., Class of 2020) during their final spring semester so that they are included in the appropriate commencement activities.

Students who return to the University for the fall semester following their scheduled commencement in order to complete their degree requirements continue to carry their numeric classification; this status is used for both full-time and part-time students, and the usual policies apply.

International Students 

International students studying on a student visa are usually expected to retain full time status. There are some special circumstances that permit international students to declare part-time status. Students should talk to an  International Services Office  advisor for more information. 

Additional Information

Students considering  part-time  status should also review  acceleration  and  enrollment  pages.